1990 E150STLESB VRO2 pump

jdlloyd_iboat

Seaman
After 2 seasons out of the water I decided to prepare my motor for fishing. First step, get the motor started. Found that my carbs were likely gunked up and decided to remove and clean and rebuild if necessary. Middle carb needle would not seat and was dumping raw gasoline out the intake (my first clue to a problem with fuel delivery). I removed the 3 carbs and disassembled the offender and its float was stuck to the bottom of bowl. Ok not a big problem but at least cleaning req'd and I will inspect the other two. However, in fooling around with the fuel line from the VRO2 I managed to dislodge the plastic nipple on the top of the pump (the gas/oil mix line that goes to the manifold). I looked at it and it appeared that it broke off cleanly. Is this a mechanical fitting? That is, does it just snap on? Or have I broken a glued on fitting? I cannot imagine it being the former. I really do not want to have to buy a new pump. Can it be fixed in any way such as with a gasoline resistant epoxy like JB Weld? I presume this is a safety critical fitting so I want to do the proper thing.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 E150STLESB VRO2 pump

I'm not aware that the broken part is sold separately. I'd go right to the source-Bombardier. Call their customer service hotline and ask them if there is any parts kit (which is not sold over the counter) that you could buy.. 847-689-7090.

jdlloyd_iboat

Seaman

Thanks for the advice and the phone number of Bombardier. I will do as you suggest on Monday and I'll also ask how that fitting is secured in case it is not a replacement part. I looked at it more closely today and it just cleanly separated and there might be vague traces of adhesive. It is still unclear how it is attached even though I know now how it detaches. In the meantime I cleaned the one carburetor and it was a mess and the O-rings in the drains for the bowls were gummy and disintegrated when I removed the screws; I'll be rebuilding all three of those while assessing the VRO2 fix. I am not sure why the o-rings failed as I rebuilt those carbs about 4 years ago and they should have been better material. I also have no confidence in the resilience of the needle seats so new ones will be installed there also. I need to research how to test the VRO2. It might be its not worth fixing it if it is less than functional so I'll continue to look for a used one to buy as a backup. Never an end for things to do on these old motors,

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to the top secret files at the top of this forum and look for salvage yards. You might find something there.

jdlloyd_iboat

Seaman

Thanks Boobie. So far I have had not much success in finding a salvage VRO2 pump but while looking in the top secret files I noticed this sticky http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/vro-premix-388154.html I have heard of lift pump conversions but as this link says it does not apply to all Evinrude or Johnson motors. I would very much like to dispense with the VRO altogether because of the broken part and the questionable condition of the pump. I think premix would be a good solution and I don't want to spend $350 plus on a new VRO. But in some research on the forum I have not yet found if there is a suitable electric pump for my 150 HP V-6 that will deliver the volume needed. Has anyone converted one of these larger motors such as mine to a safe electric driven pump? If so, what did you use?

jdlloyd_iboat

Seaman

Update: This morning I called the phone number given for the Bombardier hot line. That number is disconnected so I looked up on line and found a customer service number for Evinrude (262-884-5993). After going through the menus which indicated they only advise on outboards manufactured since 1997 would be offered, I decided to ask my question of the technician any way. To his credit, he gave me some advice off the top of his head and from memory. 1) to his knowledge there is no repair kit for the VRO2 that has a replacement nipple short of a new pump. 2) the only repair kit for the fuel side has only gaskets. He advised to seek out a dealer that might have a used pump laying around that would be willing to sacrifice only the replacement nipple. I thanked him for the advice. I suspect that if I were to find a used pump anywhere that no one would actually be willing to sell only the repair part I am seeking unless that pump was junk. I believe I am back to one of several options: 1) glue the nipple pieces back together with some kind of fuel proof glue (the technician would not say whether this could be done) 2) replace the pump with an electric fuel-only pump and use pre-mix (do not know what pump might work) 3) buy a junk used VRO2 pump and remove the nipple 4) buy a good used VRO2 (either use as is or disable oil side and rebuild the fuel side) This could cost nearly as much as buying a new VRO2 pump. 4) buy a new pump. These are in the order of my preference and probably in the order of expense (from nearly free to nearly $400). The pump part number is 0174878 by the way, if anyone has a junk one with good nipple or a functional pump they'd like to get off their shelf. I am willing to pay something for it. Anyone have a suggestion for an adhesive that might work? Any other suggestions for fixing my plight including advice for an electric pump or a pulse-driven fuel only pump? I am told the bass are spawning here in Virginia!

Will Bark

Lieutenant

You may want to consider going to a dual pulse-powered fuel pump set-up and pre-mix your fuel and oil I think any of the gurus on this forum will advise you not to go the electric pump route and will also be able to give you the pump part numbers and how to hook them up. I have been using the dual pump system on my 87 150 for over 15years without a problem. Good luck