1990 Bayliner

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1990 Bayliner

The complete OEM manual is in the links I gave you earlier.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I hope the wood shavings do come out dry. I have seen a number of people surprised by water in the transom, when they have gone to install a depthfinder transducer or tabs. Have seen this even on newer boats too. (2000 and up) The water may have gotten in there from many ways, bad seal at outdrive, drain plug, boarding ladder, etc. But once it is in there, it is only a matter of time. Wet wood rots.

Sounds like you might be able to get the outdrive situated to be able to run on muffs, and get out and do that important test drive.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

. Sorry if I came across that way. and sorry if I come across argumentative.

i dont think you did....

just tryin to save you time by running around trying to fix somthing that is not do able for your project

cheers:)
oops

edjunior

Seaman

Well, and as a matter of fact, I dropped the boat off at my local marine mechanic. I'm gonna let him give it the once (or twice) over, let me know what he finds, then take it from there. I appreciate all your help, and hopefully I'll be back with at least good news.

edjunior

Seaman

Alrighty then, well...bad news and good news. The bad news is, the engine is shot. They said it was locked up (they couldn't get it to kick over), and upon futher investigation, they found "lots" of metal in the #4 cylinder. They say it's probably the piston shredding. The engine also is not a Mercruiser, but the dreaded Force L drive. Yikes!

Okay, so you say, how can there be good news!?? Well, I still have my motorcycle (that was what I was going to trade for this boat). Also, all the talk above about the outdrive, it's fine! Nothing wrong with it that they could find. And as I said above, the rest of the boat is in really good shape. But with no motor, you ain't goin' anywhere!!

So, back to the search. I do want to thank you all, and I certainly know now that even though it's gonna cost me a little up front to have it checked out by a professional, it'll cost me a lot less in the end!

Y'all have a better day!

Bondo

Staff member

The engine also is not a Mercruiser, but the dreaded Force L drive. Yikes!

Ayuh,........ I guess that makes this Whole Thread a pretty moot point.........

Bad Advice from Bad Information........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a line on a 1990 Bayliner with a 140hp Mercruiser (3.0L???).

If you can't tell the difference between a 140 Merc and an L Drive, then buy nothing without taking some pictures and posting here and asking questions even before you hire a surveyor.
A picture of this would have ended the questions a LONG time ago, without your taking it to the shop.

edjunior

Seaman

Okay guys, lessons learned. So, here's the deal now. The guy can't store the boat at his new home, and doesn't really want to mess with it. So my question for you now is, if I were to go ahead and get the boat still, knowing the motor is shot, what would be the best course of action? I know I can have the motor rebuilt, but from what I understand and have learned, that's probably not a good idea with that motor. So, what motor can I get to put in there (Volvo, Mercruiser, etc.), and what would I be looking at in doing this? What would be the easiest and least expensive? As I've said before, the rest of the boat is in good condition and the trailer is great. So, I'm looking and asking before I go any further.

Bondo

Staff member

if I were to go ahead and get the boat still, knowing the motor is shot,The engine also is not a Mercruiser, but the dreaded Force L drive. what would be the best course of action?

Ayuh,..... Toss a lit Match into it......

It's not about the motor, per'se,....
The Whole Driveline is JUNK.......
So, what motor can I get to put in there (Volvo, Mercruiser, etc.),

None,..... See above....
what would I be looking at in doing this? What would be the easiest and least expensive?

Replacing the Whole, Complete Driveline,..??..??

You otta be able to pull it off for between $10,000., and $15,000.
Provided You supply ALL the Labor.....

John_S

Rear Admiral

I don't know how well you know this seller, but the longer you have possession and you do any work to it, gives them grounds, to claim that there was in fact a deal. Outside of charging storage fees, don't see any point to go any further.

If he has decided to give you the boat, and has been signed over, part out the boat, try to sell hull or discard in landfill, and sell trailer. Many people advertise free hull when you buy the trailer, to avoid landfill charges.

The L drive was basicly a Force outboat made into an I/O. You may find more info in the Force Outboard forum on what may or may not be salvagable and sellable.