1990 50 HP Force Outboard Starter/battery Questions

lcichon

Cadet
Looking for some expert opinion here:

I was out on the lake Saturday and as soon as I launched the boat I noticed the outboard stuttered for a second before starting. I was fishing and tubing all day and sometimes when I started the motor it would do this throughout the day until finally the boat wouldn't turn over and I had to be towed in. I first suspected the battery and grabbed another marine battery I had in my pop-up trailer and replaced to no avail. When I got it home I charged the battery to 100% but it still wouldn't start. So I popped the cover and removed the starter and I found one of the brushes broken in the starter. When I went to the boat shop to pick up a brush kit the guy at the counter told me that:

1. I must have been cranking on that starter for a long time to do the damage to the brush - that's the only reason they go out. (I wasn't)

2. That I need to add a second 'Cranking' battery just for the starter and run my accessories all off the existing deep cycle battery.

3. The fact that my battery is mounted in the front of my boat instead of by the engine is stupid and problematic. (that's the way it was when I bought it this spring)

I should mention that I understand why this guy suggesting a second battery: he thinks I'm running it way down and then cranking the engine slow and excessively to start it but I'm not that dumb.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Lee

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1990 50 HP Force Outboard Starter/battery Questions

Probably the original starter. After 16 years, the brushes had a right to wear out. It never hurts to have a second battery but not necessary. I hope those battery cables are heavy enough since the battery is in the bow. Longer runs require heavier cables.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

#1-Not true
#2-Possibly if you have alot of accessories going for a long time. You don't want to run down the starting battery..
#3-Not stupid, but could be a problem. They take a real pounding when mounted in the front. Make sure it's a good marine battery with thicker plates up there...

lcichon

Cadet

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I replaced the brush kit last night and put the starter back in and it started right up no problems.
I don't run a lot of electronics - just the stereo and fishfinder for maybe an hour at a time between running the boat. It never cranks slow. I think I'll keep things the way they are for now.

Thanks-

DHPMARINE

Captain

How old was the counter guy ?We've got a couple high school guys that could come up with those ideas and suggestions.God Bless Them.

They try hard,and want to be helpful,sometimes too much so.But I know they have to learn.I did.

We keep them around,but try to keep them from behind the counter,if you know what I mean.

DHP

nielbales

Cadet

Can Anyone tell me what the best rating is for a Battery for the 1990 50HP Force? How many amps are sufficient enough to crank the engine. I just picked up this engine, and I looks like my current battery is just not enough to crank it. Well, it cranks, just doesn't turn over. I know I need to tune it up, but it should at least start. just not enough Juice to spin the starter enough to get it to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.