1990 40HP; washers on lower unit drain screws?

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello:

When I went to change the lower unit lube on my 1990 Evenrude VRO 40HP (VE40TLESR) I found some water in the lower unit. I know that the washers are a common cause of this. The lower screw has the standard nylon washer and magnetic screw. The upper (vent?) screw has a red o-ring built into the screw head. Last time I changed it, the dealer gave me an additional black rubber o-ring to put on the screw as well. That o-ring is shot. My question is, "Am I even supposed to use the second o-ring?" It looks rather thick and soft, and frankly, I think the o-ring seal alone on the screw would do the job better. The combonation of two o-rings on one screw bothers me. Does anyone know for sure exactly what belongs on this screw? By the way, the additional o-ring now has a crack in it and definately will not stop water intrusion.

Thanks,
TerryMSU

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1990 40HP; washers on lower unit drain screws?

According to the parts diagram for your motor, here are the parts:

309243 PLUG, Fill & drain, upper
318544 PLUG, Fill & drain, lower
333572 O-RING

Plugs are different, but the same O-ring is used on both plugs. Sounds from your description like (1) you should be using an O-ring on the bottom plug, not a flat washer, and (2) you shouldn't use two O-rings on the top plug, especially when one is cracked.

To be on the safe side (and to eliminate the plugs as a point of water intrusion), I'd just replace both plugs, using the correct O-rings!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Look at the underside of the drain and level screw heads. If they are flat then you need a flat nylon washer. If there is a recess it is for an O ring.

According to the parts list, as stated, both have O rings but it is possible that a plug requiring a washer has been fitted.

Rick.

Captain

My 95 40HP Johnson has a single O ring on the vent and a nylon flat washer on the drain. Rick.

TerryMSU

Thanks Rick. On the vent screw, is the o-ring part of the screw or an aditional o-ring. Mine has a red o-ring built into the screw. I am beginning to think that the screw is the wrong one and that the original design has no o-ring built in to the screw, but does have a seperate o-ring that I should just place on the screw. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
TerryMSU
(Spartans 34- Wolverines 17; 9-10-2010)

Rick.

Captain

http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=5e920465-0ff4-478c-8527-b8033805da88
By the look of this part breakdown it should be one screw and one O ring for the vent. Pick the existing (red) O ring out and put one new one in and I think that will work. I have ordered a few new O rings for that screw but haven't changed one yet. We are still having mild weather here and I haven't winterized my boat just yet. My intention though was to just replace the red O ring with one of the new ones which I got from our local Evinrude dealer. The new O rings I got are black, not red, although I know the existing one is red.

jasper60103

Commander

I just pounded these things off my '88 j30. Is the o-ring missing? There is rubber there built into the screw, but I had metal to metal contact and had a hard time getting them off.
I think I'm going to switch to the common drain/fill plugs w/nylon washers.

SDC12606.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you have 3/8" threads on both of your drain plugs just go and buy 2 new ones which come with a 311598 washer. No more orings. The new drain plugs use an allen head on them so no more screw driver slots.

jasper60103

Commander

It uses standard size plugs. I plan on replacing them with the slotted drain/fill plugs.

edit: I decided to just buy new o-rings for my existing plugs, OMC part# 0333572. They were $1/each.

SDC12607.jpg

TerryMSU

http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=5e920465-0ff4-478c-8527-b8033805da88
By the look of this part breakdown it should be one screw and one O ring for the vent. Pick the existing (red) O ring out and put one new one in and I think that will work. I have ordered a few new O rings for that screw but haven't changed one yet. We are still having mild weather here and I haven't winterized my boat just yet. My intention though was to just replace the red O ring with one of the new ones which I got from our local Evinrude dealer. The new O rings I got are black, not red, although I know the existing one is red.

Rick:

That is what I ended up doing. I talked to a real boat mechanic and that was his recomendation. It looks right and makes sense. About half way thru next season I will take a look at the lube and see whether it was sealed correctly.

TerryMSU

TerryMSU

Well I still have leakage issues. This spring after about 8 hours in the water, I pulled the lower screw and the oil looked like yellow milk.IMG_1274-2.jpg

As you can see the o-rings do not match. The part with the red o-ring is the new part (309243). The black o-ring is what they say belongs on my upper screw and the screw without the o-ring is the screw that was the upper screw on my lower unit. Obviously the o-rings do not match. I am getting very frustrated. Can someone tell me what I should be using for the o-ring? I will gladly order them (from i-boats) if I can be sure I have the right part. By the way, these look to be 1/4-20 or so screws (definately not 3/8").

TerryMSU