1990 40hp johnson tj40elesr water pump

Maverick49

Cadet
Ok so I go to my local marine shop to see about a water pump kit, he says I do not need any gaskets when I replace the impeller maybe a couple O rings if they look bad. I tell him that when I changed the lower unit gear oil that there was a bit of water present, not alot, but some signs of water in the oil. He says that it maybe just the O rings on the "fill & drain plugs" that are worn out. Also he ask's about the pee hole, if it's shooting a good stream then I don't need a new impeller. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? also can I do this impeller change with just basic tools or do I need anything special? I do have a OMC manual that will help me.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1990 40hp johnson tj40elesr water pump

basic tools, any time you remove the plugs on the lower unit, change the washers, there only 50 cents each. and are the # 1 cause of water intrusion into the lower unit. it's good insurance to change the impeller every 2 years, and lower fluid, every fall before the first freeze, could save a lower unit from cracking, if any water is in it.

Maverick49

Cadet

Ok thank you for the information, but what about doing the impeller change is there a gasket set that I'll need or is the guy at the shop correct?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Look in your manual -- it will tell you and show you if there are gaskets needed. You will have the unit apart, so why not replace them.