1989 Yamaha 9.9SF 2 cycle stored for 12 years

I'm taking a 1989, 9.9SF 2cycle and putting it back into service.
I'll be doing the following before installing it on a 14' Mirrocraft boat.
1. Remove and clean carburetor.
2. Rebuild water pump.
3. Change lower unit oil.
4. Check ignition and replace spark plugs.
Is there anything else I should be doing in the process of waking this outboard up after such a long rest?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
1st thing I would do would be to check compression.
no reason to much else if it is not good.
compression, spark , timing, and then fuel to air ratio is what is needed to run

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If the motor was stored for that long definitely yes, 12 years it's a very long time. Remove spark plugs, sit motor fully horizontal, squirt shots of 25:1 fuel/oil mix ratio on both cylinders and rotate the flywheel back and forth slowly several times till the motor rotates freely. You don't want to start the motor with dried cylinders and pistons as well...

Happy Boating

Last edited:
1st thing I would do would be to check compression.
no reason to much else if it is not good.
compression, spark , timing, and then fuel to air ratio is what is needed to run
Cold engine compression with throttle fully open is 100 psi in both cylinders after 8 pulls on the recoil.

If the motor was stored for that long definitely yes, 12 years it's a very long time. Remove spark plugs, sit motor fully horizontal, squirt shots of 25:1 fuel/oil mix ratio on both cylinders and rotate the flywheel back and forth slowly several times till the motor rotates freely. You don't want to start the motor with dried cylinders and pistons as well...

Happy Boating
Great idea! I did as you suggested and once engine was rotating freely I gave it a compression test as suggested.