1989 Tracker Deep V transom peeled off from top board

Genaga

Cadet
Hi I’m new of old boat owner. This iboat forum always helps me I really appreciate everyone.

Today I found my 1989 Tracker Deep V transom was peeled off from top board.
There is no leaking outside of hull but once I got a rain that will go into the hull and bilge tank is quickly filled up.
I checked underneath of the top board and found there were at least 4 bolts stripped all of them which were supposed to hold a transom tight.

I can easily access 2 of them and will replace bigger bolt but it’s hard to access rest of them.
Do you have any recommendations to repair this gap?

Attachments

• IMG_7144.jpeg
    IMG_7144.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7145.jpeg
    IMG_7145.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7147.jpeg
    IMG_7147.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks like the wood into the screws attach is rotted. Need to take it apart
and dig into it.

Genaga

Cadet
Looks like the wood into the screws attach is rotted. Need to take it apart
and dig into it.
Thank you for your reply.
Do you mean that I need to remove whole transom wood board and replace it to a new wood board?

airshot

Rear Admiral
At one time the tracker hulls had a lifetime warranty, is yours one of them? Possible to drill a couple holes from the inside into the wood to see if it is rotted? Your main goal here is to see if the wood is bad, before considering other options

Genaga

Cadet
Thank you for your reply.
I’m at least 3rd owner for this boat so I’m not sure if the warranty still works. As you mentioned I will drill some points. How I can figure out if it’s bad from the drill holes? Is it easily found if the wood is rotted or not from that holes?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
wood is rotted in the transom. surprised you didnt have issues about 10 years ago.

its a weekend job and you will need access to someone that can weld aluminum and you will need to pull the motor

Genaga

Cadet
wood is rotted in the transom. surprised you didnt have issues about 10 years ago.

its a weekend job and you will need access to someone that can weld aluminum and you will need to pull the motor
Thank you for your reply. I actually bought this last December and yesterday I trailed this boat for over 400miles and found out this issue. I will find someone who can weld aluminum and pull the engine somehow.
Thanks!

airshot

Rear Admiral
When you drill the hokes, look at the wood chips, if light colored and dry wood is good, but if wet, dark colored, often have a smell, the wood is rotting. Once you find how solid or not the wood is, remove your outboard and start taking things apart. Rivets can be drilled out, screws removed, any welds might need to be cut thru. Not really a bad job on an aluminum boat

Genaga

Cadet
Thank you so much for your reply. It’s very clear to me. I will drill and check wood chips and take appropriate actions. Thank you!

Genaga

Cadet
Hi everyone, I lifted off the engine since there are big bolts thru transom to hold the engine so I thought it’s easy to check the wood status, then found out that the plywood is really rotten, soft and looks it’s salty. And aluminum inside transom has cracks. Even though I’m livening in Michigan apparently old owners were using this on the sea. I decided to change plywood to the new one. I will remove every bolts from transom soon. I never cut woods, metals and I don’t have electrical knowledge but anyway I will try to fix this with watching YouTubes and asking some questions to experts like you. So far thank you for giving me advices!