1989 Starcraft Islander 221 (4.3 Liter) doghouse rebuild.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I have just about finished the complete overhaul of my Islander , but I have no idea about fixing the doghouse. Does anybody have some pointers to rebuild that doghouse? If possible with measurements and/or pictures.
As always, thank you very much for your opinions and advice.
Cornelis

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
if you have the old doghouse to use, even as a pattern you are ahead of the game. I just had to redo mine on my boat. Measurements arent going to help much as each boat is a bit different. I started with the sides, and cut them long enough to cover the engine, and have the most "shape" to them (mine had a main panel, and a dogleg section). the top, front and back are just plain panels. I used some 1/16 aluminum angle to screw to and give a bit of structure, and 1/2" plywood for the panel. A little ingenuity will have it looking decent pretty quick. I covered the sides of mine with foam backed vinyl, and the front and top with marine carpet. More aluminum angle covered the staples and gave a more finished look.

Attachments

• image2 (8).jpeg
    image2 (8).jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image2 (13).jpeg
    image2 (13).jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
  • image13.jpeg
    image13.jpeg
    553.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image12.jpeg
    image12.jpeg
    575 KB · Views: 4
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    588.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image0 (45).jpeg
    image0 (45).jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thank you! That gives me some ideas to start working with.
I once you get started, it’s pretty easy. I was dreading the job myself. A good afternoon to build, and a morning to cover it. Mine took about a sheet of plywood. I didn’t glass it as if I had to make changes, I would have been doing it over. All in all it turned out good for what it is