1989 Maxum 1700 XR MA Project

MrChan

Cadet
Folks, Newby here.

I took the plunge on March 27 2012, and purchased an inexpensive but what appears to be a very solid Maxum 1700 XR MA and trailer.

Prior to towing the boat home to Chicago, i looked and reached my hand, pressed a nail point, and looked pretty much everywhere and found just one small soft spot (ski locker edge).

Both the floor and transom both are solid, and while the inside of the boat had definitely seen better days, i saw my project.

When i bought it home, my wife was standing there, arms crossed. I had seen this "what did you bring home" look before. But, I immediatedly backed it up the driveway, and went to work.

Like all things, I did the "first run" cleaning. Put the tunes on, enjoyed the beautiful weather, and immediately cleaned her up for the first time. My wife quickly smiled once she recognized she'd be skiing this summer.

There was indeed some discoloration on the vinyl, on the carpet but i got to that too, and it came out ok, but more to go.

And like most older maroon Maxums, she had seen her share of oxydation. Attacked that too, but need to address again.

The Force engine was dead and the dealer removed it before i purchased it, and the control wires were removed as well.

And the steering wheel seems locked right now, but havent really gotten to look at it.
Trailer is fine, and no canvas's. Some light mildew smell, but nothing seems to be growing.

Gas tank appears to be very clear, and no water stains or anything to believe that the stringers are rotted. And trust me, while i looked very hard, Im not oblivious to the reality that they could be shot in a boat this old.

Either way, I'm "all in" and have my project and my goals defined.

In short, I needed a boat to scoot around the lake with wife and 2 kids for about 40 hrs a summer. They need to know how to ski; we'll be tubing, morning fishing, and chilling. In short, I cannot wait.

So it is May 1, 2012, finally joined the forum, and here are my goals to accomplish before July 1, 2012.

•Repowering it with refurb or new outboard (Eyeing up a New Suzuki 80hp (Comments please?) or Johnson 90hp refurb (90 might be overpowered, but cannot get a firm answer) {DONE!}
•I will need to rewire it to minimum CG standards (Bow, stern lights, bilge, + stereo) {DONE}
•I want to tackle the oxyidation better (Used Biokleen but need another more potent solution, and comments) {DONE}
•I want to tackle the vinyl/and remove the older smell (Clean vinyl, shampoo carpet, and comments){DONE}
•I want to install an hour gauge/tachometer (will do when re-power)

I will post some pics of her the day i bought her home.

She will be known as "Born to Run" after the boss's song

Thanks for any comments and support.

Jay in Chicago

Attachments

• Lyons-20120405-00365.jpg
    Lyons-20120405-00365.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1aaa.jpg
    1aaa.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1aaa (2).jpg
    1aaa (2).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 2

MrChan

Cadet
Re: 1989 Maxum 1700 XR MA Project

More pics of the work i have done on her since...

Attachments

• 1aa.jpg
    1aa.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 2
  • 1aaa.jpg
    1aaa.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 2

MrChan

Cadet

So i went at the oxidation with Biokleen, and the interior with elbow grease, rags, various vinyl cleaners, and eventually, Armor All. I am planning on hitting the hull once again with Biokleen (and perhaps twice) to get the oxidation out.

Im definitely making progress.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1

MrChan

Cadet

OK. My first question for any takers.

The transom is solid. (It was the first thing i checked out when purchasing the vessel)

I removed the plastic covering, and there was factory silicone and what appeared to be bondo (a two part vessel so this silicone/bondo was sealing the bottom hull section to the top section).

So, I cleaned out the factory silicone, and bondo, and sanded it nice and smooth. Since then, i have shot some marine silicone into the small gap/horizontal transom part (where the engine sits). Thats now fine

The pics below show the situation, but not the new silicone shot.

However, (as the pics can show) on the verticle sides of the transom, the gap ranges from 1/4 inch to about 1", and silicone alone probably isnt going to work. So i was going to fiberglass a strip on both verticle sides from the inside of the boat, and then refill with marine putty from the outside (the putty would set up against the newly laid fiberglass and create a nice waterproof seal). However when i was trying to get the fiberglass to fit behind the verticle gap openings (again crouched down, contorted, mucking about from inside the boats stern) i quickly realized that i had little room to maneuver, so i abandoned this idea.

A little help?
So what i would like to do now is just fiberglass down the verticle edges from the outside of the boat. Perhaps 2 strips of fiberglass 2" and 2 1/2". And while im at it, i was going to fiberglass over the newly shot silicone on the horizonal part of the transom. Smooth it out and then recover with the plastic covering, knowing that the seal is watertight.

Does anyone have any comments suggestions before i dive into this?

Thanks
Jay in Western Springs, Chicago

Attachments

• IMG-20120405-00357.jpg
    IMG-20120405-00357.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20120405-00358.jpg
    IMG-20120405-00358.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-20120405-00359.jpg
    IMG-20120405-00359.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

First off Welcome to iBoats!

Lots of help here on the forum. IMHO Silicone has no place on a boat espcially in the area you are describing. You say you have checked the transom but did not say how. Did you take core samples? This is truly the only way to know for sure if the transom is sound. I would not proceed any further with this repair until you get core samples. To do this you use a 1/4" drill, put tape on it so you won't go deeper than about an 1", drill into the transom wood from the INSIDE under the splash well and in several locations. Check the shavings. If they are light in color and dry then GREAT. If dark and wet then Not So Great! If they are good then fill the holes with 3M 5200 Marine sealant. Lowe's or Home Depot usually carry it. If the Transom is indeed solid and sound then we can talk about the correct an proper repair for the opening in the cap and the transom. From the looks of it, someone has had the cap off that boat in the past. That is NOT the way it came from the factory.

MrChan

Cadet

Thanks Wood on Glass.
I was fortunate enough to dremmel holes from inside. Nothing brown or black.

it was solid.

Also, thank you very much for shifting my assumptions that the top has been removed once before, because it probably didn't come from the factory that way.

I may drill and fill a few more with the 3M marine.

chrisvr6

Seaman Apprentice

Which waterway is that in the pics? Im in the city and that cant be in chicago.

MrChan

Cadet

Up in Wisconsin, about 1/2 NW of Milwaulkee.

So i have drilled more holes, and am comfortable that the transom is in good shape. The shavings that were in my 1/4" drill were dry and i would say a lighter shade.

I am going to take a whack at sealing the transom this weekend, so any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

I have also removed the back-to-back passenger side seat(s), and am going to build a bench in its place. Raise it up a few inches with a few cross studs, and then hinge a 1/2" marine plywood board on the studs. I purchase some foam and will build a cheap and cheerful bench. Anyone want to chime in on the cross studs?

See attached for visual...

Attachments

• Bench 1.jpg
    Bench 1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 3

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

One of two ways to fix the transom area. If you don't care about making it easy to remove the cap in the future for repairs then, mix up some PB and fill it all it, then sand, fill, fair and gelcoat or paint. If you do want to make it easier to remove the cap then you'll need to use Resin and Glass to build up the cut edges and decrease the gaps. Then fill with 3M 4200 sealant and fabricate an aluminum cap to cover the gaps. That's my thinking

MrChan

Cadet

If you do want to make it easier to remove the cap then you'll need to use Resin and Glass to build up the cut edges and decrease the gaps. Then fill with 3M 4200 sealant and fabricate an aluminum cap to cover the gaps. That's my thinking

Thanks Wood on Glass.

I appreciate your advice. I will endeavor to go this route.

MrChan

Cadet

I am going to build a bench in its place. Raise it up a few inches with a few cross studs, and then hinge a 1/2" marine plywood board on the studs. I purchase some foam and will build a cheap and cheerful bench. Anyone want to chime in on the cross studs?

Heading to HD now to get wood for my bench. Thinking pressure treated, then i will resin it, and fix it to the existing passenger side seat box.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No significant advantage to PT wood and it really should be dried out before you wok with it and coat it...... Just go with exterior grade plywood.

MrChan

Cadet

Interior Bench:

OK, concerning the bench, I have attached my work over the past 2 weeks. It went smoothly. I used pressure treated 2"x12"s and predrilled holes, connected them, and affixed them to the existing seat boxes with "L" clamps. I also ordered 4 yds of marine vinyl as well as some closed cell foam.

The bench turned out wonderfully. Lyons-20120514-00696.jpgLyons-20120506-00633.jpgLyons-20120506-00632.jpgLyons-20120506-00631.jpgLyons-20120506-00629.jpg

MrChan

Cadet

REPOWERED:
I looked around, and found a guy in Naperville who rebuilds engines. Went to his shop and had an hr long discussion with him about different motors. Took some time off to do some homework, and then settled on a 98' Johnson 90hp. We disconnected the VRO and will mix the oil to avoid what probably contribute to issues for many VRO owners. I went to the his shop on Monday for 4 hrs and together we connected the steering, enging controls, and with mufflers/h20, repeatedly started and ran the engine. I will break it in slowly over the next 3 weeks. I will consider using this break in process. http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/break_in.html

Here are the pics.

Naperville-20120514-00699.jpgLyons-20120518-00715.jpgLyons-20120518-00711.jpgLyons-20120518-00710.jpg

MrChan

Cadet

Heavy Oxidation
I was ok with the BIOKLEEN but needed something better.

For any owners with heavily oxidized boats, BEFORE wet sanding, (which im glad i didnt do) I would be first try:
-3M™ Marine Imperial Compound or Finishing Material.
Lyons-20120504-00608.jpg
-I applied it with my hand, (you can feel the sand like granules)
- smeared it up and down the hull in 3 foot increments,
- and I used a 6" or 8" wool pad attached to a standard drill.

(I purchased one of those 6" reciprocating buffers at Menards/Home Depot, and it was not right for this job. Perhaps for some light waxing, but not for this job.)

See attached for my results

Lyons-20120504-00612.jpgLyons-20120504-00611.jpgLyons-20120504-00610.jpgLyons-20120504-00609.jpg

MrChan

Cadet

Transom:
I took Wood's advice " If you don't care about making it easy to remove the cap in the future for repairs then, mix up some PB and fill it all it, then sand, fill, fair and gelcoat or paint."

It worked out wonderfully. The real test was when the Johnson was put on. There wasnt a smidgen of sag, or any movement whatsoever when the engine was attached to the transom. I was and am psyched.

Thanks for the advice...

MrChan

Cadet

Electricals:
Previous owner just cut the connection from the engine to the dashboard so i removed the wires.

When i repowered, i installed a side mounted OMC control throttle, ignition, choke, tilt control box. So right now, the dash ignition and tilt are just for show.

While under the dashboard, on my back, contorted, i noticed a few orphaned wires. And also it was sloppy. Lastly, I wanted to KNOW what the heck each wire was for. Seems that the previous owner had a hummingbird and depth finder that i also removed. So i cleaned out many orphaned electrical wires.

Menards had a sale on Excite Marine Batteries (high cycle) so i picked one up for $69. So far it works fine.

The electrics that are successfully working are:
- Bilge
- Bow Nav lights
- Aft running light (stick)
- Horn
- Lighter (20 amp fuse)

Very glad these work.

Stereo:
I have a stereo, but it doesnt seem to work. Connections (both power and ground) seem in good order, and the fuse looks good.
I left this in place to get to next.
I always have the option of lighter connector, Ipod, I-Klipshe speakers unit, but want to use the surround sound.
Attached is the stereo connection makeup.
Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.
I reckon i need to get a line testing light to see if im getting power at the radio.
View attachment 147406View attachment 147407View attachment 147408

MrChan

Cadet

Lyons-20120524-00722.jpg

New decals off of Ebay.

Purchased stereo and will install when it arrives
Re-attached Hummingbird 200DX that i found in the boat when purchased. Works on Simultor session. If anyone has the Hummingbird Speed and Temp attachment, i would appreciate any comments on it before purchasing.
Thanks