1989 Mariner 200s

kahuna

Seaman
My starboard engine is having problems. I took it out saturday ran it for a few minutes at low idle from the dock. Engine stalled. After e few it started again, when I throttled up it stalled again. It seems to be starving for gas. THe bulb seems to be staying firm. My Seloc manual says an anti syphon valve may cause this. Where is the anti-syphon valve? If I start it and leave it in neutral eventually it will stall. <br /><br />THe strange thing is that for aboput 20 minutes I had it up on plane and cruising with no problem, but then it started to stall again. Any ideas?

gss036

Commander
Re: 1989 Mariner 200s

Check your fuel filter for water, may be close to full and you suck off what is on top and then dies for lack of fuel.<br />I think the anti syphon valve is the check valve in the primer bulb(1 way flow) on the fuel line.<br />Might be time for some carb cleaner like SeaFoam.

kahuna

Seaman

Gary:<br /><br />Thanks. How do I clean the carbs with something like SeaFoam?

gss036

Commander

I use a small (3 gal)tank and mix a strong solution and run it through the engine, This also does a decarb on the engine. I have extra fitting (hose) to plug into the engine. For decarbing I use 1 can of seafoam to 3/4 gal gas a mix about 3oz of tcw3, just as a precaution. Run for about 15 minutes on water hose and then let it sit for about an hour and repeat the process until the gas is gone. You will get a lot of smoke and black junk out of the engine if you have not done a decard for awhile. Don't do it on you cement drive way. Seeing you have twin engines, I suspect you have a larger boat so this may not be your answer. I tralier my boat so it is no problem for me. Maybe use a spray can or bottle.