1989 Johnson 20hp surging at mid-high rpms help!

Abassed

Seaman Apprentice
The hose connector is an OMC connector I know for sure. Fixed that when I first got the boat. So is the primer bulb and hose.

I put an inline filer going into the fuel pump and the arrow is pointing toward the pump like it should. It's not OMC, but I'm confident there's proper fuel flow through it.

Also checked fuel pump and everything still looks and feels brand new pretty much.

When you say the tank isn't venting, the bulb will collapse. My bulb is collapsing, so I can try getting a fuel tank with a vented cap. I'd rather have something other than this balloon bomb right next to me going down the lake haha

Abassed

Seaman Apprentice
UPDATE--Problem Solved?!?!?

So got the new gas tank and it didn't solve the surging problem. Sucks... But at least I can have piece of mind.

Finally got time to bring the boat to my dad's house to use his impact gun to get the flywheel off (couldn't get it off with a strap wrench for some reason).

Once it was off, I found some melted rubber under the charge coil!! BAM! Charge coil meltdown! everything else looked pretty clean fortunately. It seems like it's the start of a meltdown, since I could start the motor pretty easy, and even run it WOT for like 10-15 seconds from the first start off the launch.

New coil will be in Monday, gonna take the boat out as soon as I can and will post the results then.