1989 Johnson 140hp

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class
New boat to me. When I first purchased ran a compression test and everything was good. Had an idle issue cleaned the carbs and did a sync and link everything ran fine. Had it out four days in a row and no issues. Took it out today and it started fine idled good ran wot perfectly then all of a sudden it dies won't restart checked the spark with the timing light that I had forgot to take off the boat and nothing on any cylinder....disconnected black/yellow wire and nothing. Disconnected the engine harness and jumped it with wire and no spark. Started reading on google and the main culprit of problems seemed to be from the power pack and I'm hours away from my tools found a power pack locally and replaced no spark. What could just fail while running. Really don't want to scrap this vacation please help
Thank you

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Does this motor have a kill switch? If so, check that. Many times this lanyard safety feature will go bad, create a dead short and kill the engine.

toonin22

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, That was the first thing that I checked. Black/Yellow wire. And even disconnected the harness to take out the key switch.