1989 force 85hp shift pivot screw

Joehizzle

Recruit
I'm new to boating and trying to winterize my boat. I have a 1989 force 85hp (856a9c). It seems like I accidently removed the shift pivot screw the lower unit instead of the drain plug. I was luckily able to get the screw back in but want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Oil drained out of shift pivot screw plug when I removed it. The oil that drained out is gear oil right? I can just fill the oil from the fill plug on the top of the lower unit? I believe the actual drain plug is on the very bottom of the lower unit. Thanks for any help

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your very lucky you got it back in right.
Test: have someone spin the prop as you try shifting the control.
VERY IMPORTANT to spin the prop, you can do damage to the linkage and control if not spinning.
Spin, shift and it should go into gear and lock the prop in both directions.
The drain plug is easy to strip out.

Nordin

Commander
If the drain plug is hard to remove try to gently heat the area around and the plug with a propan torch or if you have a gas welding set up with oxygen and acetylen.
The general way to fill the gear oil is from the drain plug.
When filling from bottom you know that no air will remain in the LU and oil will fill up in every cavity.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
His has the Vent/Fill screws.
I use them, but once it's full I go to the vent and add until it comes out the other hole. Then repeat it a couple of times until all the air's gone.
The 88/85's I had(4) all weep'd at the drain plug no matter what I did to stop it.