1989 Force 85hp questions

buick mackane

Recruit
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
2
Hi all,<br />I recently bought a 1989 17' Bayliner Capri bowrider with a Force 85hp motor. The boat is in very good condition and the motor runs good as well.<br />The question I have is; when i run the motor there is very little water coming out of the back(is more like a spray) at idle or any other speed.I'm used to seeing a nice stream coming out, like on my previous 40hp Merc.I'm wondering if its an indication of my water pump/impeller going bad.I've put about 12 hrs on the motor already and haven't had any problems nor the overheat buzzer gone off.<br />Any help will be appreciated.
 

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jul 25, 2004
Messages
253
Re: 1989 Force 85hp questions

spray is ok. Most of the water exits the exhaust port. I'd change out the impeller just to be safe.
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 1989 Force 85hp questions

yes, always a good idea to change the impeller or the entire waterpump when you buy a used motor, then you know it is good.
 

buick mackane

Recruit
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
2
Re: 1989 Force 85hp questions

Thanks for the quick respose.I ordered a manual for it.I'll look it over and at least change the impeller.
 
Top