1989 Force 85hp Engine 898F9f - Water Pump Issue

Hello community,

I recently replaced the impeller on a motor I’ve owned for about 3 months now. When I replaced it water would come out of the two 3/4 inch holes under the engine cover in a spluttering kind away but after seeing plenty of videos it seemed this was ok. Since then the engine has about 3-4 hours tops and last night I noticed an excess of smoke it seems or exhaust fumes exiting from these two holes. I was lobster hooping late night and it was concerning at the time. I decided to turn back and head to the dock. The engine ran really well no issues what’s so ever other than the excess smoke coming out. When I got home I but the muffs and ran the engine for about 45 seconds and noticed smoke continued to come out of the hole but had 0 water. Nothing at all but exhaust smoke which was concerning as I don’t know why smoke would come out of this area and not the lower exhaust port.

this morning I pulled my lower unit off and didn’t see anything wrong with the impeller or housing. I tried sticking a hose on the bottom portion of the water pump where the lower unit connects to the bottom leg housing forcing water up the tube to see if it would come out of the pee holes but nothing came out. I did hear water in the engine bay and notice water come out of the front and rear of the bottom leg of the engine.

Does anyone have any clue as to why the engine stop shooting water out of peepholes? Is there another way to troubleshoot? Can my engine not be getting cooled because of the lack of water exiting the pee holes?

Shooting air through these pee holes I don’t think is an option as they are quite large and there are two of them.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It's normal, some have a lot of water, others not.
The holes are for the pressure relief and don't always
have water coming out.

Install a pee tube and test the overheat system.

I use motorcycle and car horns as the buzzer isn't
loud enough and can hardly be heard over the motor.
Just make sure they are wired right as they can be
wired backwards and not work.

One of the best tools in my tool box is a 16$ electronic
heat gun.
This can tell you if there's hot spots and future trouble
spots.

The Force power

Commander
When I got home I but the muffs and ran the engine for about 45 seconds and noticed smoke continued to come out of the hole but had 0 water. Nothing at all but exhaust smoke which was concerning as I don’t know why smoke would come out of this area and not the lower exhaust port.

this morning I pulled my lower unit off and didn’t see anything wrong with the impeller or housing. I tried sticking a hose on the bottom portion of the water pump where the lower unit connects to the bottom leg housing forcing water up the tube to see if it would come out of the pee holes but nothing came out. I did hear water in the engine bay and notice water come out of the front and rear of the bottom leg of the engine.

Does anyone have any clue as to why the engine stop shooting water out of peepholes? Is there another way to troubleshoot? Can my engine not be getting cooled because of the lack of water exiting the pee holes?

Shooting air through these pee holes I don’t think is an option as they are quite large and there are two of them.

There will only be water coming out of the "two holes" / relieve holes when the motor is in the water running in neutral

Imagine the cooling-water & exhaust-fumes coming out of the bottom of the engine being pushed through the exhaust down (with the motor in the lake) the back-pressure of the lake-water is greater then the exhaust-pressure & re-routing /forcing the exhaust fumes/ cooling-water back up through the relieve holes

When running (in forward gear in the lake) the lower leg drags through the water it create a vacuum and draws the exhaust fumes & cooling-water through the prop, the same as for a single exhaust but then only through the Snout

foodfisher

Captain
I had an embarassing amount of smoke cured by cleaning the fuel recirculation system.

There will only be water coming out of the "two holes" / relieve holes when the motor is in the water running in neutral

Imagine the cooling-water & exhaust-fumes coming out of the bottom of the engine being pushed through the exhaust down (with the motor in the lake) the back-pressure of the lake-water is greater then the exhaust-pressure & re-routing /forcing the exhaust fumes/ cooling-water back up through the relieve holes

When running (in forward gear in the lake) the lower leg drags through the water it create a vacuum and draws the exhaust fumes & cooling-water through the prop, the same as for a single exhaust but then only through the Snout

thanks for the support. It ended up being that the thermostat had salt in it and wasn’t opening. I put it in boiling water and that seemed to have done the trick as it cleaned it and now seems to open right away. The water that circulates goes through the thermostat out through those two hole. It is now gushing water both through the exhaust and through those two holes. I think I forgot to clean it out the sat water on a trip out pst week.

Just to verify it is normal to have exhaust smoke coming out of the holes?