1989 Force 85hp Carb Question

Community,

I am attempting to purchase a carbtune pro to tune my carbs. Does anyone know where I will plug this tune tool in the engine? I’m new to outboards and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I see that it goes in the intake manifold but can’t seem to find what screws I would remove to get this set up.

Nordin

Commander
Please pics of the tool.
BTW You do not need any special tool to tune the carbs.

Clean the carbs and do a link and sync. You find the link and sync thread in the top of this home page (Chrysler/Force forum).
It is written by Frank A who was the guru with Chrysler/Force OB.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Don't waste your $$$
Do a compression test and clean the recirc system
and then do as Nordin suggested, Linc and sync.
The factory said to set the carbs air screw at 1 turn
out from lightly seated.
BUT!! some older Force 85's won't run right at that setting.
Linc and sync.

Thanks for the recommendations. I plan to do the link and sync but I’m terrible at mechanics so it’s a bit out of this world for me.

I ran the engine today before doing anything and I noticed a good amount of oil in the tub. I will attach pictures. I also noticed after taking the plugs out that the first 2 plugs were wet with black oil residue similar to what was in the water the bottom one was completely clean.

i did check spark with a spark tester and all cylinders have a bright spark.

Attachments

• photo339464.jpg
    photo339464.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo339465.jpg
    photo339465.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Additional spark plugs and oil in water tub

Attachments

• photo339466.jpg
    photo339466.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo339467.jpg
    photo339467.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo339468.jpg
    photo339468.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like #3 isn't firing???
Check the coil?
#3 is run from the 2nd pack.
Spark test all 3 plugs, then if there's no spark
on #3 try swapping the packs around and see if
the no spark follows the pack change??

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
Quick and dirty test is to use induction timing light to see if there is a spark on all three.

I checked all spark plugs with spark plug tester and notice spark going to all three plugs.

are you saying that in a force engine the first wire goes to the first plug the second wire from top goes to the third? And the third to the 2nd?

when I purchased the boat it had first going to first, 2nd to 2nd, and 3rd to third.

Nordin

Commander
No what jerryjerry is saying is that #3 coil has the input from #2 CDI module.
Each CDI module contains 2 channels soo #1 CDI controls #1 and #2 coil and #2 CDI module controls the #3 coil.
Then you are right that #1 coil run #1 plug, #2 coil #2 plug and #3 coil #3 plug.

First do the link and sync and check how it perform if not good then check the ignition system.
Outboardignitiondotcom has the troubleshoot chart.

Link and sync checked out. I did notice the first two carbs running rich but were adjusted and now run fine. Number three again has spark and definitely has going in there but no fire. Compression is roughly 125 on each cylinders give and take a few PSI.

im kinda lost now on this.

while running I removed the spark plug wire on cylinder number with no difference in how it ran so definitely number three is the problem

I did another compression check and it now shows almost evenly 95psi on all three Cylinders. I have a feeling the harbor freight gauge might be off as the guy that sold it to me showed me the compression when I purchased it was at 120 125 and 120.

if the harbor freight gauge is correct is 95psi to low for this engine? Cylinder 1 and 2 purr like a kitten even while reving without cylinder 3.

Nordin

Commander
Yes 95 PSI it low, factory values 140-150 PSI but as all three has 95 PSI it can be the gauge.
As you says in post #10 when doing a drop down test #3 does not make any different in RPM when pulling the plug wire, then there is an ignition issue.
How did you perform the spark plug test?
Did you use an cheap inline tester or a timing light?
My experience with a cheap inline test is that it sometimes shows spark but when you hook up a timing light then NO spark.
Check how long distance the spark can jump in air.
It should jump at least 1/4 in but preferably 3/8-7/16 in, then you know it can jump during compression.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The HF gauge shows good comp, low but good.
All 3 are the same that shows the gauge is off.

You check spark on all 3 cyl?

Check the float in #3 and make sure it's not stuck?

Found the issue though I had carb #3 cleaned I didn’t have an in-line filter. Seems gunk clogged the jet. It is now firing now I have to figure out the issue with I burnt oil in the tub that keeps coming out of the exhaust port.

The Force power

Commander
This can be for the simple reason that;
Running any 2-stroke outboard in a test-tank will pollute the water quickly, this is because you're not running the engine at WOT or close to it and then the Re-circulation system is not working at that point.