1989 Evinrude Tilt Assist Fix

n2gypsy

Cadet
I have a 1989 40 rude (40TELCEC Ser#7241175 with tilt assist. The motor runs great, but over the winter the tilt assist has failed. The cable and linkage appears to be fine so I'm assuming the issue lies with the cylinder. Anyone out there with some insight? Is the cylinder rebuildable?,how about power conversions? aftermarket gear. Whats the fix? Cheers Mike

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Evinrude Tilt Assist Fix

The cylinder is not repairable, the fix is to replace it. Does the cylinder not release, or not hold? Check to see if the cable from the handle hasn't stretched if it dosen't release. It can be adjusted at the handle by popping the black plastic connector off the ball at the handle (inside transom bracket, starboard side) and screwing the connector on the cable. If the cylinder won't release, screw the connector onto the cable a few turns, making it shorter. If it won't hold, screw it off, maling it longer. I had to adjust mine shorter as the cylinder did not release to allow the motor to tilt up. Power tilt / trim kits are no longer available from BRP. You will occasionally find them on Ebay. Make sure you get the tilt / trim unit, relay box with relays, cowl switch, and if possible, the cable for the remote control. If you have a OMC control, the handle can be changed with one with a tilt / trim switch. Dash mounted switches are available. Working used units are selling for about $400.
CMC tilt units are popular, they tilt the entire motor / transom bracket.