1989 Evinrude 9.9 Impeller

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK - Here I am again. I seem to be changing motors like the weather but I think I've got a winner this time. I picked up a 1989 Evinrude 9.9 for $300. It starts right up and runs great but the telltale just has a steady drip never a stream. I'm REALLY hoping it just needs an impeller and as soon as the store opens I'm going to get one and change it out. I'm ready to get on the water today!

Just want to see if it's a similar setup to access it as my 1975 6hp and the 1970 9.5 I just did impellers on. Drop the foot, disconnect the linkage and there it is???

Thanks!!

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Evinrude 9.9 Impeller

Good news! I removed the 6 bolts holding the foot on moved the shifter into forward and it dropped almost an inch exposing the coupler plain as day! I'm about to open the impeller housing and take a look but should I squirt the garden hose up the tube to try and flush the system out and make sure there's good flow out the telltale?

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright I found an impeller and got everything back together ok. Now my question is what kind of pressure should I have coming out of the telltale? It's is markedly improved and has a stream versus the steady drip before but it's not a super stream and a breeze can break it up (if that makes sense). I can't really throttle it up because this model will only let you throttle up a little in neutral. It has to be in gear to hit the gas and it blows all the water out of my barrel. I guess I'm going to put her in the lake and see what happens. The reason I ask how strong the stream should be is I've seen some boats (granted they were probably 200hp motors) that shoot a stream that would almost hurt your hand if you got it under there. For the record I blew compressed air up the telltale and a little garbage came out but nothing major. Then there was a steady stream of air behind it.

Thanks

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the force that the telltale has might be different with various motors. The stream is only an idicator that the impeller is moving water. In no case should it imitate a pressure washer, but a drip is probably a bit on the low side. If you cleaned gunk out of the tube and changed the impeller, chances are that you have fixed the problem and should be good to go.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That telltale outlet has a habit of clogging somwhat. With the engine running, clean that fitting out with a piece of single strand steel wire. Youmay need to remove the hose from the fitting to clean it thoroughly BUT the steel wire route usually does the job.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I took it out on the lake and it ran great power wise and then I noticed that it basically quit pumping out the telltale....not too happy. It would have a weak stream only when I was running at WOT. Once I slowed down to idle it was a drip if that. I'll look at the telltale and see if it clogged somewhat again. Would the thermostat cause any of this issue? It appears to have never been replaced. Any other thoughts??

Thanks

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Joe - You are the man! I thought for sure it would be some trash in the water jacket and next thing I knew I'd have the whole power head torn apart but the wire worked! Easiest fix ever!!! It's peeing like a champ!!

Thanks!!!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear you fixed it. Now, just where do I send this bill? (grin)

Napa Ed

Recruit

To clear the telltale carry a turkey baster. The pressure is not that great at the head drain outlet so the smallest bit of scale or algae can clog the peehole. A wire only reaches so far but a turkey baster filled with no air can really jack the drain line and loosen up any minor problem. Somedays I have to backflush a couple of time while on the water so don't be suprised to see a stream turn into a trickle. A long vinyl tube and a mouthfull of water does the same. (engine not running of course)