1989 Evinrude 50 hp will not start

thakang67

Seaman
Hello to all
I took my pontoon out last weekend and it ran great as usual. I start it up at least 2-3 times a week to keep the batteries charged and to insure it will start when I take the family out. Thursday it cranked right up today it just turns over. Battery is fully charged, fuel is good and spark plugs look fine to me. Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thakang67

Seaman
Re: 1989 Evinrude 50 hp will not start

Thank you...I will get right on it and let you know

thakang67

Seaman

HighTrim Thank you for the information and it does seem to be the ignition coil. Is there a way to check it with a voltmeter to really confirm and how do I do it?
Thanks

cyclops2

Banned

Check your red plastic coiled SAFETY interlock VERY CAREFULLY......Seperate & reconnect it a couple of times. Lucky ??
Also if there is a switch that interlocks NOT being fully in neutral. ?? Pull covers & see if it has one. Jumper it out & try. You hold a jumper wire across the 2 screws & someone else cranks.
Get lucky :)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There is but hard without the proper test equipment. Do you have a DVA meter?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd recommend the OEM Factory service manual and a good DVA or peak reading volt meter if you're going to do your own work.

thakang67

Seaman

cyclops2...by meaning the(red plastic coiled SAFETY interlock) I assume you mean the safety killswitch that is attached to my gear shifter that I attach to myself when in gear? Also the switch you refer to that interlocks NOT being fully in Neutral? Is that inside my shifter control?
HighTrim/boobie...the mutimeter I have is a SPERRY DM-350A Digital Mutimeter (DCV readings, ACV readings, DCmA readings and Ohm readings).
Thank you all for your help any and all suggestions are very much appreciated.:) I was told by the local Prow Marine that it was my power pack. Is it possible for the pack to just go out like that, I mean it ran great that weekend, two days later I crank it up and it ran great, then two days later nothing just turning over? Makes know sense to me.:confused: Again Thank you for your suggestions.

thakang67

Seaman

cyclops2, HighTrim and boobie, Thank you all for your suggestions after testing everything it turned out to be the power pack. I just now put it on and it cranked right up on the first turn. Now I have another issue. I know I need to reset the timing but here's my question. My manual says to put the engine in gear and get to a minimum of 3500 rpm's. The tub I have it in is not going to take that kinda force and I don't have an rpm gauge on the boat. I have an inductive timing light. Can I use the warming lever ? to full and time the engine that way or must the engine be in gear? I assume if I get it full lever it will be close to or at the 5000rpm WOT I need to set the timing.
Any of your suggestions ware ALWAYS appreciated.