1989 evinrude 25hp ignition/starter issue

Mpkoeninger

Recruit
I have 1989 evinrude 25hp outboard. The motor was fine 2 weeks ago. Today go outside and as soon as I turn the key to “on” position the starter engages and tries to start the motor. It was not doing this last time I had it out and I haven’t messed with the ignition at all. I’ve looked at wiring diagrams and everything seems to be normal. Will a bad solenoid fail with closed contacts?

Model #: E25TECEM

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have 1989 evinrude 25hp outboard. The motor was fine 2 weeks ago. Today go outside and as soon as I turn the key to “on” position the starter engages and tries to start the motor. It was not doing this last time I had it out and I haven’t messed with the ignition at all. I’ve looked at wiring diagrams and everything seems to be normal. Will a bad solenoid fail with closed contacts?

Model #: E25TECEM

Thanks in advance
TaKe an ohmmeter and check the solenoid contacts.That should answer that part of the question.

KillerKilgore

Seaman
Could be bad solenoid. Could be a bad key switch. Could be wires going to solenoid from key switch.

If you leave boat out in elements. Rain and whatnot. It could mess up your key switch.

Key switch gives a small amount of amps to wire on solenoid in key "start" position. That complete a circuit in solenoid that makes an electric magnet. That magnet makes the connection between big battery wire and wire going to the starter. For as long as you have the key in "start" position.

So if you just turn key to "on" the wire going to solenoid should NOT have power. Just turning the key on the solenoid should not engage the starter.
I would look at the key switch first. If that turns out OK. I'd look for bear spots in the key on/run wire and the key start/solenoid start wire.

Hope this helps.

Made a solenoid system of a 25hp where it just had a push button on engine. Got a new bad general key switch from Amazon and it almost burnt down the boat. Melted the low amp wires going to solenoid. Replaced key switch and wires. No trouble since.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Mpkoeninger

Recruit
Could be bad solenoid. Could be a bad key switch. Could be wires going to solenoid from key switch.

If you leave boat out in elements. Rain and whatnot. It could mess up your key switch.

Key switch gives a small amount of amps to wire on solenoid in key "start" position. That complete a circuit in solenoid that makes an electric magnet. That magnet makes the connection between big battery wire and wire going to the starter. For as long as you have the key in "start" position.

So if you just turn key to "on" the wire going to solenoid should NOT have power. Just turning the key on the solenoid should not engage the starter.
I would look at the key switch first. If that turns out OK. I'd look for bear spots in the key on/run wire and the key start/solenoid start wire.

Hope this helps.

Made a solenoid system of a 25hp where it just had a push button on engine. Got a new bad general key switch from Amazon and it almost burnt down the boat. Melted the low amp wires going to solenoid. Replaced key switch and wires. No trouble since.

Hope this helps.
Will check key switch tomorrow afternoon with meter. It’s normally covered but wasn’t since I had it out last and it had rained since. Maybe it got enough water in it?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
selenoid contact surfaces could have welded closed .... tap the selenoid see if it drops the stuck connection when the key is ON ....

if selenoid is ok the options are few.... bad key internals shorting battery +12 to the START key control wire...

battery +12 v reaching the selenoid control wire due to chaffing in a bend somewhere

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
First step would be to clean the battery contacts -- sandpaper until shiny. Be sure they are tight. Make sure the battery has a full charge.