1989 e25elceb

hi all,
i have a evenrude 1989 e25elceb, with only about 20 hours on it, took it out for the first time a few days ago, and it runs perfect, BUT after a few hours it started sputtering when trying to accelerate, but idled and started perfect,
So i thought it was the vent or vapor lock, and i purged the gas line and checked the vent, and it ran perfect again, But after several more hours of perfect running it started to sputter again, any clue's for me WHY it will idle and start just fine and sputters when accelerating? like i said it is an older motor, but has hardly any hours on it,
thanks, Paul

Attachments

• harbor 014.jpg
    harbor 014.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 e25elceb

I would check and make sure there isn't any water in the gas tank and drain what's in the carburetor bowl. Possibly some condensation got in the carb and is stopping up the high speed jet.

BTW, that's not an "older motor" in my book. :D:D

thanks cap,
i did try that but it didn't help,
Paul

I would check and make sure there isn't any water in the gas tank and drain what's in the carburetor bowl. Possibly some condensation got in the carb and is stopping up the high speed jet.

BTW, that's not an "older motor" in my book. :D:D

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Maybe a fuel pump starting to go, try pumping the primer bulb when it is acting up. You could use an inductive timing light and check the spark on both cylinders when it acts up and see if you are loosing spark on a cylinder.

thanks for that daviet, but i think i have elimenated the fuel problem, am leaning toward an ignition problem as you suggested, now that i think about it, seems like it's hitting on just one cylinder, that being said, i don't know 2 strokes that well,
Paul

Maybe a fuel pump starting to go, try pumping the primer bulb when it is acting up. You could use an inductive timing light and check the spark on both cylinders when it acts up and see if you are loosing spark on a cylinder.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you think it is only running on one cylinder, do a spark test, should jump a 7/16" air gap and be bright blue. You might want to check the compression just to be sure it is ok.

thanks for that daviet but that's out of my pay grade with outboards, too much stuff under that cowling that i am not familiar with, i can wrench on motors and merc. alpha 1 outdrives, (that i have had several of for over 30 years) but outboards intimidate me,
Paul

If you think it is only running on one cylinder, do a spark test, should jump a 7/16" air gap and be bright blue. You might want to check the compression just to be sure it is ok.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

No worries, check with you local auto parts store and see if the rent compression testers, alot do. Remove the spark plugs, screw in the compression tester into one cylinder and spin the engine over then repeat with the other cylinder. If your compression is somewhere around 100 psi and within 10% of each other you are good.
Again check with your local auto parts store and see if they sell an adjustable air gap spark tester, there not very expensive, set it to 7/16". Attach it to one plug wire end and spin there engine over, does it jump the gap and is it bright blue, repeat with the other plug wire.
If your engine passes both tests you probably have a fuel delivery problem.
Spark and compression tests are the first thing I do when troubleshooting an engine, easy and cheap to do.

thanks daviet, will give it a try,
Paul

No worries, check with you local auto parts store and see if the rent compression testers, alot do. Remove the spark plugs, screw in the compression tester into one cylinder and spin the engine over then repeat with the other cylinder. If your compression is somewhere around 100 psi and within 10% of each other you are good.
Again check with your local auto parts store and see if they sell an adjustable air gap spark tester, there not very expensive, set it to 7/16". Attach it to one plug wire end and spin there engine over, does it jump the gap and is it bright blue, repeat with the other plug wire.
If your engine passes both tests you probably have a fuel delivery problem.
Spark and compression tests are the first thing I do when troubleshooting an engine, easy and cheap to do.