1989 Chaparral

Butch1

Cadet
Hello all, I was spying this on CL todayhttp://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/1401829613.html, this would be my first boat, I'm tired of fishing from the dock!. Are these Merc 4.3's hard to work on?. I have fairly extensive automotive experience but have never worked on a boat of any kind. Suggestions/advise greatly App., Thanks, Barry

another toy

Cadet
Re: 1989 Chaparral

from what I understand that merc engine is a chevy 4 cyclender.From what I have been told.I will find out more this up comming week I just baught an 18ft cris craft with the same motor.I bought it for the trailer.might be willing to let the motor and out drive go cheep.Im 2hours south of you.

Butch1

Cadet

OK, I'm kinda leery as to why this owner wouldn't have the head gasket installed by a mechanic and the ask around $3000 or so for this size boat in good condition..

another toy

Cadet

Yeh you are right 767 kinda tired not thinking clear.the chris craft I bought has a merc 140 which I think is a 4 cyclinder? I really didnt look at the boat just the trailer. Still working on my first boat not shure about startin another deck project.

TilliamWe

Banned

It's got more than head gasket damage, i guarantee it. He got it very very hot when he lost the belts. It probably really needs new exhaust manifolds too, which, if they are the one piece "batwing" design, cost about $1000 to convert to the more logical/prevalent two piece design.

And plain and simple, any boat not running, no matter what it is, is a $1000 boat, max.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I like Chaps, but like stated above, you might be looking at a lot of time and $ to get it back up to shape. If he ran it enough overheated to blow the head gasket, what did it do to the cylinders? That boat might need a new short block.​

Even though all the engine parts might be there, what is the condition of the outdrive, deck, transom? It is a saltwater boat so what kind of shape are the manifolds?​

If the price was lower then it could be a good deal, assuming everything is there, but it would be some work. It does sound like it was a well maintained garaged from new boat that has some goodies in it.​

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hull looks to be in great shape. And it's sitting on a nice looking galvanized trailer. If you go into it prepared for the possibility of it needing a new motor (and pay $1000 for it) I think it could be a potentially good deal.

jkust

Rear Admiral

My thought is that a Chap is about the worst fishing boat around. Way too much freeboard, my wife, me or the kids can't reach the water on ours making it difficult at best to fish. Kids have to go out on the swim platform to rinse hands, etc. It is just a chore to fish from it. That said I don't know the specs of that model.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 4.3 is a GM 6 cylinder engine. The design was a no-brainer from GM in the late 70's. It is essentially a tried and true 5.7 L(350 CI) that had one cylinder from each side deleted. Bore and stroke is the same. Cranks, cams, etc all were shortened for that deleted cylinder. It was simple and worked even though the engine is inherantly not 'balanced' as it is a 90 degree V6 (not V8). They added balance shafts in the early 90's to compensate for the vibration, etc. Bottom line - if you can work on an engine it is as easy as any.

I don't mean to be an a**hole ( I admit it happens sometimes) but if you have 'fairly extensive automotive experience', I think you would have likely known this. If you have to ask, it is probably a bit deeper than you are prepared to go.

Butch1

Cadet

The 4.3 is a GM 6 cylinder engine. The design was a no-brainer from GM in the late 70's. It is essentially a tried and true 5.7 L(350 CI) that had one cylinder from each side deleted. Bore and stroke is the same. Cranks, cams, etc all were shortened for that deleted cylinder. It was simple and worked even though the engine is inherantly not 'balanced' as it is a 90 degree V6 (not V8). They added balance shafts in the early 90's to compensate for the vibration, etc. Bottom line - if you can work on an engine it is as easy as any.

I don't mean to be an a**hole ( I admit it happens sometimes) but if you have 'fairly extensive automotive experience', I think you would have likely known this. If you have to ask, it is probably a bit deeper than you are prepared to go.

I didn't know Mercruiser employed GM engines that were the same as automotive versions and I've never even seen an outdrive. Previous poster stated the exhaust manifold conversion alone is a $1K fix, yikes!. This is the type of info that a boat noob is not gonna know. I agree with previous poster though, if owner was motivated enough to disassemble it he would have finished the job and be asking around $3.5K for that boat so it sounds fishy to me as well..

TilliamWe

Banned

... if owner was motivated enough to disassemble it he would have finished the job and be asking around $3.5K for that boat so it sounds fishy to me as well..

Bingo. You are thinking very clearly.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess I take for granted a bit of 'common knowledge' relating to boat engines. FYI - all the I/O's and all inboards (at least in runabouts and skiboats) are built around automotive blocks/engines. The most common V8's are the GM/Chevy small block 350/305 CI (5.7/5.0L). Primarily on boats from the 90's (or older) you will also see some Ford 351/302 CI engines as well. The most common V6 is the GM/Chevy 4.3L.

Though the blocks and some internal engine parts are or could be common with their automotive counterpart, DON'T ASSUME THAT YOU CAN USE AUTOMOTIVE PARTS FOR YOUR BOAT! There are many components that are different due to different safety requirements and conditions inherent in a in a boat or marine environment. The biggest thing is the containment of all sparks, etc.

As for the outdrives, they are not common with any other industry or part.

ROLL TIDE!!!! Bama just scored for the 2nd time in about a minute! Sorry - couldn't contain myself.