1989--Black Max 135--stalls when cowl installed

clove

Seaman
I have received good feedback from the group and wanted to post another problem. I have a 135hp 1989 Black Max. I rebuilt the fuel pump which I thought was the cause of the random stalling. After doing so the problem reoccured. After a bit of playing around with it I discovered that removing the cover allows it to work fine--no stalling out. What would cause this? Also, I pulled the plugs after wards and noticed that there a little wet--not excessive. Could this be a sign the carbs needing rebuilding? I have not done a pressure check as of yet but don't suspect this is a trouble spot as the motor runs strong.

imported_scott_m

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989--Black Max 135--stalls when cowl installed

Sounds to me like a wire in the main harness is being pinched and shorted when you put the cover on. I'd check your wiring.<br /><br />BTW, I've got the same motor. Runs great!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Does exhaust fill the hood with it on? A leaking exhaust cover or base gasket could deprive the motor of oxygen if exhaust is in there instead of fresh air.

clove

Seaman

Thanks for the quick responses! I have already checked for pinched wires--good there. As for the leaky exhaust--not sure as I have not looked there. I can say this, that the motor runs forever with the muffs but as soon as you put in the water--that's when it stalls. I'll give the exhaust leak a check and see where that goes.<br /><br />Thanks!

clove

Seaman

Just got finished tightening/checking the exhaust plate and power head. The power head was still really tight. The exhaust plate however could take a about 1/4 turn on almost all bolts. Would the bolts being 1/4 turn out have the effect on the motor stalling when the cowl is put on? It took about 3-4 minutes for it to stall when it did it.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Classic exhaust leak symptoms....