1989 Bayliner

mthomasff

Cadet
Can anyone provide info on 1989 Bayliner Capri. I've found an 18ft, with rebuilt 2.3L and new interior for $2900. Is this a reasonable price and are has anyone experience problems with this model boat or motor.

Makofanatic

Cadet
Re: 1989 Bayliner

this boat has a merc 3.0 or a 4.3 ethier way they are both good and 1989 was a great year for bayliner also for 2,900 if it runs you cant go wrong....

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 89 1750 Capri Bowrider and love the **** thing. It was in perfect shape when I bought it two years ago for $4k.<br /><br />It's been a great first boat for us. Even the 90hp Force motor on it has worked flawlessly (knock on wood)and according to my mechanic, a strong motor.<br /><br />I had a mechanic check mine out before I bought it. It was an agreement the seller and I reached that before the boat sale was final, the mechanic would check it out and if he saw anything that I thought was unsatisfactory the deal would not go through and I'd get my deposit back. Checked out fine obviously.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Before buying this boat, do a search here for "BAYLINER", and read,read,read.<br />Bayliners of this period are pretty poison.I know first-hand ,as I own one. The Capri has a wooden deck...Nothing unusual about that, but the fact that they never bothered to laminate or waterproof this wood is. Also the fiberglass was applied using a chopper gun or some such gizmo..Add to that, many areas were not rolled after layup, leaving bubbles in the laminate. And the were stingy with the glass on the stringers ad bulheads too.<br />That isn't a bad price for a garage stored boat with very low hours. The engines are fairly reliable. But take it for a cruise first, and get a 300lb or better person to go with you.Have him/her walk on every square inch of the decking with a bounce in his step.<br />Also, look for any cracks in the gellcoat inside and outside of the transom.<br />I am proud of my Capri, but I also understand it's weaknesses, and have deat with them,one at a time.

D

DJ

When you say 2.3 L I assume it is an OMC drive. The 2.3 was a marinized Ford overhead cam engine.<br /><br />The 2.3 was much more forgiving for extended high rpm. running than the 3.0.<br /><br />Make sure the timing belt is in good shape. If it goes, you will not bend the valves but it will leave you dead in the water.