1989 Bayliner Capri windshield question.

bobmwsc

Cadet
Tomorrow I will more than likely be picking up a 1989 Bayliner Capri 1750. I spoke with the seller and as the listing stated the starboard side (dirvers / right) suffered some damage from heavy snow. I was able to locate on Craigslist a full windshield set from a 1988 Capri 1750. Could someone advise me if the windshields were the same from 1988-1989 or will it not fit? If there are slight differences maybe I could replace all pieces instead of just the damaged ones. Once I pick up the boat tomorrow I'll do some measurements and forward them off to the windshield seller for comparison. The seller states that he'll include all glass, metal, rubber components for $100 (the best I could find online otherwise was one glass panel for just under $100).

I know there are some who will advise against the 80's vintage Bayliners but this will be my family's first boat. If we enjoy it we'll upgrade as when we can afford it if necessary.

Here's a photo of the boat - you can see the side panel is missing and the windshield looks like the frame bent a bit.

fetch

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Just looking at pictures of 88 and 89 1750s on the internet, the windshield looks the same to me.

bobmwsc

Cadet
No Title

photo should be fixed - i hope... for some reason my computer didn't like uploading to the forum.

Attachments

• photo213867.jpg
    photo213867.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Make sure you are aware of the details, the how and the why that so many would recommend NOT making an 80s Bayliner your 1st boat. And be EXTREMELY thorough when you inspect the boat before you pay for it.....

A project boat can be a harsh intro to boating if it isn't as seaworthy as you thought or hoped.

64osby

Admiral
Looks like it's been sitting a long time. Either sunk in the dirt or flat tire.

Soft floors are hard to feel when the boat is frozen.

Tread lightly and spend wisely.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm, I don't see a Prop on the lower unit. Make SURE you ask about Proper Winterizing Procedures and the last time the motor was running. If the motor is NOT running and the lower unit was NOT winterized properly you're looking at BIG BUCKS for repairs. As others have stated you should be getting inside the boat and checking for soft spots on the floor/deck in every nook and cranny. Those will be indicators of major issues below the deck. Take a flashlight and look down in the ski locker Open the engine cowling and look inside and back on the stern of the boat looking for discolloration and wetness. If the boats been left outside in the elements UN-Covered this is NOT GOOD. This vintage of Bayliner has a bad reputation coming from the MFG and if it's been abused it's even worse. The other members have given you some very good advice. You'd do well to heed it. Others have not and ended up with a $3,000 total restoration project.:eek:

bobmwsc

Cadet
I asked about the last time it was used. He said it was not used this past summer but it was the summer before. He said his interests move from boating to off-roading and he spent his time working on his Jeep. I will be sure to ask about winterization and will do a thorough check of the as much of the wood as I have access to. On the plus side he stored the cushions inside his barn so he says that they are in good condition. He's selling the boat because he sold his house and is moving (which I was able to confirm - the internet is a wonderful thing).

bobmwsc

Cadet
I'm also going to try and convince myself that maybe the cover was removed for the photos and that it usually has one.... How else could the windshield be damaged by the weight of the snow?

I looked at another boat a few weeks ago. It was a mid 70's Glasstron. After a few minutes of looking I took the hour ride back home empty handed. Even though I had my hopes up I knew what wasn't going to be a good fit. The transom on it had been (poorly) replaced, floors were junk, and even with no boating experience I was willing to bet standing water in a boat was not a good thing.

Last edited:

bobmwsc

Cadet
Pickup was postponed until tomorrow morning. I had a good chat with the owner this morning though. Boat has always been covered. The damage occurred when there was snow on the cover and it wasn't supported in the middle. The weight of the snow in the middle bent the frame and broke the window, He stated that the floors and transom are solid. At the end of the last season of use it was properly winterized. He stated that it does need a good cleaning though after sitting unused for this season. There is a prop on the boat but he said it could use replacement. He said that he would even toss in some tubes and a wake-board. Everything is sounding good about it so far... we'll see tomorrow!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Pickup was postponed until tomorrow morning. I had a good chat with the owner this morning though. Boat has always been covered. The damage occurred when there was snow on the cover and it wasn't supported in the middle. The weight of the snow in the middle bent the frame and broke the window, He stated that the floors and transom are solid. At the end of the last season of use it was properly winterized. He stated that it does need a good cleaning though after sitting unused for this season. There is a prop on the boat but he said it could use replacement. He said that he would even toss in some tubes and a wake-board. Everything is sounding good about it so far... we'll see tomorrow!

If you have ANY doubts, walk away... The cleaning part makes me a little nervous. Boats that aren't used and are covered up generally don't get dirty. If it is covered with leaves and there is a tree growing in a corner, yeah... (trust me, lots of pics of 'like new' bayliners that look like that.)

The other thing, that bayliner most likely has the little 4 cylinder in it. Those things were dogs if you had very many people in the boat, or tried to do any water sports.

bobmwsc

Cadet
Smokingcrater - will do - any doubts and I'm out. Like I said I was in that situation a few weeks back. Didn't think twice about walking.

It does have the little 4 cylinder- the 2.3... It'll only be myself, my wife, and our two kids (6 and 4) so hopefully it'll be enough power for us. Being a little underpowered may not be such a bad thing as this is our first boat and we'll all be learning.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
snow damaging the windshield? mmmmm.... not buying it and I am not a Bayliner hater (i've owned 4). That would have had to been one heck of a lot of snow, like several feet maybe.

and don't worry about underpowered. It is but if first boat just have fun.

oldjeep

Admiral
snow damaging the windshield? mmmmm.... not buying it and I am not a Bayliner hater (i've owned 4). That would have had to been one heck of a lot of snow, like several feet maybe.

and don't worry about underpowered. It is but if first boat just have fun.

I could see snow load doing that if the cover stayed on the rails and got collapsed into the boat with snow. That would put a ton of strain on the windshield.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
glass maybe, but if I'm seeing the pic correctly there is a frame missing? Highly doubtful snow caused that.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I owned a 87 Bayliner. Personally, I would stay away from it. Very poor quality in those years.

Maclin

Admiral
I have been watching this and tried to stay on the sidelines so as not to throw a particular brand on the fire, but I looked at a lot of boats over the last 3 years. That particular model of Bayliner always intrigued me (just liked the looks of it from the side) but every one I looked at (5 or 6) was in really bad shape underneath. And interesting that 2 or 3 of those also had windshield problems, not sure what that means exactly. Just look it over real well. I agree that the damage shown is not from too much snow unless the boat was under a roofline at one time and something or someone slid of the snowladen roof and cacked it.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I can't see the photo for some reason. I will say that the 80's bayliners generally suffered from first time owners inexperience combined with cheap craftsmanship. We still have an early 80's bowrider actually but as it turned out we were careful with it so it has lasted trouble free. As for the bent windshield frame...My sig boat was on my brand new Floe boat lift this past summer and we got hit with straight-line winds. They were so damaging that the two week old boat lift completely collapsed on top of the boat while it was parked on the lift. The full brunt of the weight of the top and sides of the lift then fell upon the windshield system of the boat as the storm raged on. Point being both side window frames were barely bent even in light of the total devastation and the front didn't bend even in light of the amount of weight on it. It takes a huge amount of force to actually bend a window frame and I just don't see how even the heaviest snow could do that.

Last edited: