Hi all. I have a Force 85 thats between the years of 1989 and 1991 (haven't looked up SN# yet). I took it out after not running it for 2 years and discovered the 3rd cylinder was not getting a spark. Each sparkplug has its own ignition coil. Its a 3 cylinder engine and the top 2 cylinders are controlled by 1 CDI box and the bottom one is controlled by a 2nd CDI box with the extra wire not connected to anything. <br /><br />The second CDI box that controls the bottom cylinder is not working. New sparkplugs are in. The ignition coil for the 3rd cyliner is working fine as I tested it by hooking it up to CDI box 1. CDI box 2 does not produce a spark for either the unused output (for cylinder 4 if it had one) or the regular third cylinder. The engine was working fine the last time I fired it up 2 years ago, so it was a sudden problem not gradual.<br /><br />This leads me to the conclusion that either the CDI box 2 is bad or the stator is bad. Both of which are expensive, I believe. <br /><br />My question to you all is: Is there any easy way to test to see which one of these items is the problem? I noticed there is a terminal block with the exact same wire setup for each CDI box. I was thinking of switching these wires to see if its the CDI box or not but that seems risky. I have purchased the Force 85 repair manual but haven't looked to closely at it yet. <br /><br />The Fuel system is working fine besides this. I ran 4 tanks of gas through it on these 2 cylinders only getting about 30% its normal power because of this problem (No carb issues). <br /><br />I can use a multimeter to test the connections on the terminal block but am not sure what kind of signal to look for (resistance, VDC, or VAC) from the stator blue/yellow wires. I also don't know when to measure these leads (engine off, on, while starting?) <br /><br />This is my first time working on a boat engine but I have extensive knowledge in computers and electronics. <br /><br />What I'm looking for is anyone out there that will say to me: "I had the same problem and it is _______ " Or "Sounds like your heading in the right track but whatever you do don't do _______". Any info any of you boat engine guys can give would be great. <br /><br />Thanks a ton,<br />Erik Von Schuessler<br />fireflyz@hotmail.com