1989 88spl idle adjustment

Zook4184

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone I’ve put some time into this outboard I’ll start at the bottom of motor as to what I’ve replaced or rebuilt new oil in lower unit new impeller rebuild kit now the motor replaced head gaskets compression check 120 psi give or take a pound or two between cylinders rebuilt carbs sink as best as I could rebuilt fuel pump replaced thermostats coils plugs plug wires and made sure I have a solid primer ball after all that I have been doing cold start checks and starts and idles fine in the driveway lake test and when I would put into gear it would barely stay run if I didn’t help it but I just want to raise the idle a little bit and I just can’t comprehend how to check the timing and I don’t want to start messing with the throttle linkage with not having a clue as to what rod do what because it runs pretty good any help would be appreciated if you read this long message I appreciate it thanks

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Step 1, buy the factory service manual.

If you have the money to buy the parts, you can afford to spend the money to buy the correct instructions how to service your outboard.

What if everyone got their answer wrong and it was a critical dangerous step in the assembly process of the powerhead? 99% of the time the factory service manual would have the correct answer.

Has at any point the max timing advance been changed at all? That is the threaded adjustment that connects the timer base under the flywheel to the throttle assembly. If you messed with it at all, you will need to verify max timing advance. Search for Joe Reeves timing method and ask plenty of questions if you do not understand it well.

Second, did you verify that the carb linkage is properly synchronized where there is zero slop when the top carb throttle is opened up?

Third, did you ensure that the carb roller arm that touches the throttle linkages is centered against the arrow when the running in idled at is 4 degrees BTDC (+1/-1 degree) and that the butterflies on the carbs are completely closed?

Fourth, did you adjust the idle speed adjustment screw at the top of the throttle assembly where that arm connects to the timer base advance arm?

Start with +200 RPM higher than what the manual specifies on your idle speed adjustment when setting this out of the water/on muffs.

You will have to get the boat on the water and in gear to get the final RPMs right if it is running correctly. 600 to 700 RPM is the correct range. That would be around 800 to 900 RPM in neutral in the water.

Make sure the throttle cable has the proper pre-load on the throttle arm to prevent inconsistent idle speed.

This video is a helpful visual guide but it is not a substitute for the factory service manual and the knowledge of doing the work correctly.

Last edited:

Zook4184

Seaman Apprentice
Hello thanks for replying if the max timing rod is the longer rod just under the fly wheel no I did not touch and I did verify that the throttle flaps are equally closed in neutral but will have to get my son to put in gear and see if there is slop when moving throttle forward and for the arrow alignment to roller cam the rod with nut and thumb wheel is the one I used to alien that and the last idle screw your asking me about I did not touch that would be the screw with all the threads on it correct I will definitely watch video I do appreciate you replying and I will get a manual and I will definitely let you know how I make out thank you

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Corrections have been made in edits of my above post, please make sure to consult the service manual to verify.

I had the 1990 version of this in the 90HP model which has the higher output charging system with trim/tilt and VRO system (which I deleted and made premix).

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Stop-------Timing does not normally go out of adjustment on these motors.-----How did this motor run for you last season??-----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads , yes or no ?-----The orange wires going to the coils , what color stripe is on them.----Post each one 1 through 4.----And model # of your motor ?----Sounds like motor is not running on all 4 cylinders.

Zook4184

Seaman Apprentice
Starboard side top cylinder strip is blue bottom is like green port side top is blue strip and bottom cylinder looks green rough to tell I’m color blind model is E88MSLCER so looking at that is motor a 1988 I received this motor for free and we got it towards the end of the season last year and it’s been a ongoing process but as of today this is the best it’s been running this I had a cold start problem but I believe I fixed that with getting all the air out of the fuel line and getting the primer ball to stay hard once I did that I’ve been repeatedly starting to get history on that and it’s been good it starts rite and I can push warm up lever rite down and it idles good but doesn’t seem the idle is high enough

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over to start it ?----Are the high speed jets found in the bottom of the float bowl clean ?

Zook4184

Seaman Apprentice
Are you pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over to start it ?----Are the high speed jets found in the bottom of the float bowl clean ?
Yes rebuilt carbs and fuel pump and yes on pushing key in it will almost start without pushing key in and as soon as I do it fires rite up before I was able to get primer bulb to stay hard I tried every other way to get it to start on a cold start but once I got the bulb to stay hard I did take hose off carbs for primer solenoid and when key was pushed in I watch fuel come out of hose that connects to top of carbs witch I believe now is helping cold starts if I turn the long flat head screw with all the threads on it to the end of screw will that raise idle or effect the timing

racerone

Supreme Mariner
At idle the carburetor throttle plates must be closed.-----Idle speed is controlled by timing.---Not to be confused with MAXIMUM timing as that is not adjusted.---So turn adjusting screw in to speed up the RPM.

Zook4184

Seaman Apprentice
At idle the carburetor throttle plates must be closed.-----Idle speed is controlled by timing.---Not to be confused with MAXIMUM timing as that is not adjusted.---So turn adjusting screw in to speed up the RPM.
Thank you this afternoon I will give it a try I appreciate it and I’ll post back and let you know how I made out going to put in lake tomorrow morning

Zook4184

Seaman Apprentice
Well I turned that screw I turned it in just enough to bring idle up a bit just came back from the lake and idled perfect thanks for all your guys help hopefully she stays that way thanks