1989 70 hp evinrude won't crank

cecilp

Cadet
hasn't been there since I owned it but I just discovered it yesterday
hasn't been there since I owned it but I just discovered it yesterday when checking for broken wires.
there was/is a fuse on front part of engine ( got to check where it goes ) but it doesn't appear to be to cranking circuit. AND it is not blown.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
progress..I get 12 volts on that wire. I get 12 volt into solenoid an Checking other points (like primer solenoid ) today

ok if you have 12 v one of the control posts of the selenoid then the other small post would need to be grounded to get the internal coil energized

on some circuits the selenoid is protected from accidental activation by neutral switches, tilt switches, in gear switches .

you should measure the ohms between the 2 control posts (free of any wires) and report back. (coils typically have low ohms value 2-3 ohms)

do what is needed to track down any missing ground on the ground wire of the ground post (check and clean all connection points incl. any fat connector or (harness)

cecilp

Cadet
the fact that you have 2 symptoms (no sparks... no start) would indicate it would be a very bad lucky situation to have a bad selenoid.

selenoids are simple devices with a single internal coil to magnetically close the starter circuit .

the control wire should show 12v while in START mode while the other side is grounded either internally or by a wire direct to ground or via a safety switch

the selenoid should click

I suspect you have no 12v feeding the relay since the same12v is missing on the ignition circuitry (no spark)

before spending to much money on selenoids you should try to hunt down the missing 12v
you can test the selenoid operation by directly applying a fresh 12v on the + control post

btw make certain +12v is reaching you key B+ post and the key is internally transferring +12 to the ignition, choke and start posistions

another issue is improprer ground of the engine frame itself. you could have all the 12v in the world with nowhere to go if the engine and grounded components are not "grounded" to return the current flow back to the battery NEG post .
inspect all battery cables connections for oxidation or bad crimps . Clean up all connections. battery end and engine end

you could also test by having a buddy holding the key on START and poke around by bending accessible wires, tapping around to detect any loose or internally broken/oxidzed wires. turn the engine side to side while in start mode.

Intermittent problems area pain Hard dead is usually much simpler :)
as I suspected there was a grounding problem BUT also found a break in wire from switch to 12 volt at solenoid. Thanks for your help. I went back to square 1 and found break by twisting and turning the motor

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Great news :) glad you got her fixed up and gave us the feedback .

I had a similar issue on a MERC 50 years ago. .found a broken wire in the side fat connector, the result of years of bending .

cecilp

Cadet
Great news :) glad you got her fixed up and gave us the feedback .

I had a similar issue on a MERC 50 years ago. .found a broken wire in the side fat connector, the result of years of bending .
thanks for your help. hit strokes of luck today. Stole a 2005 70 hp suzuki 4 strokefor 1000 bucks that was suppose to be blown. Had just had lower unit replaced and ran hot in less than 4 hours. I found that when unit was put back on the water tube wasn't lined up and the water inlet at bottom of motor was put in backwards. History says 312 hours with 4 minor codes. Guess I'll be re-powering for sure now LOL