1989 200 hp mariners; warning horn

kahuna

Seaman
I have twin 200 hp mariners (1989). The engines are smoking alot running rough at low speed, and the alarm sounded when I increased to about 4500 rpms (but not every time)stopped when I throttled back, also they sounded for a couple minutes when I started them at idle speed. Compression on both is pretty close, 130 to 135 on five cylinders 110 to 115 on the sixth on both engines respectively. Got plenty of oil, water running through pee holes O.K. Should note that the engines were not run at all last year, and only a few time this year. Maybe needs tune up. Any ideas.

kahuna

Seaman
Re: 1989 200 hp mariners; warning horn

didn't get a reply. just seeing if anyone could advise. I'd appreciate any help; Thanks

kahuna

Seaman

still looking for a reply. Thanks

kahuna

Seaman

Hello still waiting. Is there anybody out there? Is there anyone home? Just nod if you can hear me?

AndrewB

Seaman Apprentice

Is it a solid beep or an intermittant beeping? Solid is lack of water, intermittant is oil. When it beeps check the oil container on the engine, not just the tank in the boat. If it is oil, the injection system is normally presurised therefore you may have a slight leak allowing the level to drop, hense the float sensor will drop making it alarm. Anyway first things first let us know what alarm it is.

kahuna

Seaman

thanks AdndrewB. It was a solid beep. Sounded when I throttled up to 4500 rpms, then stopped when I slowed down. Also last time I started the engines a solid beep for two minutes then stopped. Water is coming through