1989/1990 4.3 distributor

Brando1980

Recruit
Hello,
I am looking for some help/guidance finding an aftermarket electronic distributor for a 89/90 OMC 4.3L
The motor is a 432APRMED/985685 with a prestolite IBM7021 distributor.
The current distributor is shot and I really don't want to buy a used one.
It looks like A-Team makes one but I can not find anything on people using them.
Any help is apricated.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You will also need to change your ESA module for one that works with an electronic distributor (CDI electronics sells them).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

what is shot on your dizzy? if its just the points needing adjustment or service, that is $15 new bushings are $8 at NAPA

if its rusted to a big ball of rust and the springs are gone, then replace it. Best is a delco voyager EST.

Brando1980

Recruit
welcome aboard.

what is shot on your dizzy? if its just the points needing adjustment or service, that is $15 new bushings are $8 at NAPA

if its rusted to a big ball of rust and the springs are gone, then replace it. Best is a delco voyager EST.
It's rusted out.

alldodge

Staff member
You should be able to take it apart and get it going again. Just depends how much labor you want to put in it

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
There are ones in pretty good shape that pop up on eBay or NLA marine parts, most probably only need a set of points & condenser and have the centrifugal flyweights lubed up.
BTW both Merc & OMC used the same Prestolite unit, Merc’s were painted black and OMCs were grey.

Last edited:

kenny nunez

Captain
Prestolite distributors have the point rotor lobe shaft that will rust and will wear out the breaker point rubbing block. The rest of the distributor was in good condition so it was converted to a Petronics kit.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
There is a lube wick in the distributor shaft that you can see when you take off the rotor. All you have to do, is put a few drops of motor oil on that once a season, and just a little distributor cam grease on the distributor cam, and check the points to see if they are getting burned. Very simple to take care of. If you hate points then yes you can go with the Petronix as well. I have owned this boat almost 20 years and I think I've changed the points maybe 5 times.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I put a piece of sponge with WD under the inner plate.
Ten WD Silicone spray the housing
Then replace every fall when winterizing.