1989 19 ft spectrum

cobb2103

Recruit
I have begun to remodel the interior of my 19ft spectrum. THe boat came to me from my uncle and is somewhat of a mess. I am 24 and interested in this project as a way to spend time with my father. So far we have cut a temporarily mounted the deck and walls throughout the entire hull. We did this out of treated 3/4'' plywood. Our next step, we think, it to cut out storage spaces and wiring holes and then carpet. First of all, are we on the correct track? Second of all, where should we go next?

The wires from the existing outboard counsel motor have all been disconnected/cut/etc. It is a 90h Merc, is there anywhere I can look to find specs on what these wires had gone to?

I know we have lots of work ahead of us, but thats the point. Anyadvice is welcomed and any resources are appreciated!!

Thanks,

newest member 3/17/2010
Nick

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1989 19 ft spectrum

Well welcome!
It sounds like you will have a lot of time to bond with your dad!
Your next step is to fiberlass glass the wood for the deck (floor), the walls dont really need it but if you want it cant hurt!

Now I am asuming that since you built a new foor the old one is ripped up, how to the stringers look? ( long peices of wood that run the length of the boat that the floor sits on)
If the are bad you will want to relaces them as well.
As far the carpet since you have a lot of work to do I would say to lay the carpet last, that way its dosnt get all messed up while you are working.
You can find the wiring diagram in the manual.
If you go to the the Merc forum on this site you will find a thread at the top that is labled adults only...in there you will find links to manuals that you can download and other engine testing and trouble shooting tips. you will need to know the year of the engine, HP. A link to it;http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Once you have the wood sacured for the deck and walls and they are fiberglassed, it is best to move to the motor and controls. That way there is nothing in your way and it will be easly to hide wire and stuff latter with the trim and carpet and all that.

It is a lot of work but take your time! And hear in the resto forum we like to see pics, its helps us see what your dealling with when you ask questions, so keep a camera on hand.

Good luck

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you have it that far disassembled check out the transom as well, most werent disigned to last 20+ yrs and if your going this far id hate to see you back in there in a few more years, take a drill and drill 3-4 small holes near the bottom in various places, if the wood comes out greyish and soft, plan on fixing that as well, if its good looking wood refill with your choice of MARINE sealant (3m, sika), wish oyu the best, goodluck D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

HI COBB.....WELCOME TO IBOATS !

this forum will give you all the info you need.

one thing......if you can, post pictures....it really helps us help you.

a lot of the people here have done many restorations, and are very skilled at it.....therefor , can guide you on every step of the project.

but the big thing is that you and your dad have fun.....be prepaired to get "itchy" and dirty......its fun, but the real fun comes when you and dad are killing fish and sipping a few sody pops on the water.

cheers
oops

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You don't want to put PT in an aluminum boat!!!!

cobb2103

Recruit

Good Advice all...

I will work on getting pictures up.

The Stringers are good and the transom was rotten so we took that out and put new one in. You will see when I get pictures up that we completely gutted the boat. All that was left was the motor and wiring, the gas tank, and the stringers (Were aluminum in this boat)...

EZMOBEE - What do you mean by "don't put PT in aluminum boats"?

Thanks for all your advice and we will keep you posted as we go!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The new PT has copper in it. The dissimilar metals will cause corrosion. There have been major issues with the new PT eating fasteners. There have also been changes made to building codes prohibiting the use of PT up against aluminum flashing, etc.