1988 Springbok Super Pro 17.6 re-power

Status
Not open for further replies.

kencat

Seaman
To start - Moderators - can you fix the spelling of the forum title "Springbrok"? Might make searching difficult (although I did manage to bump into one of the posts in here).

I'll include some pics just for fun later. I'm starting this to try to get some spec info on my boat, especially weight. The reason is that I am researching whether to repower or try to fix my blown-up 88 60 hp Evinrude. The boat is rated for a 90 hp, so I think I will repower with a 90 if I do so. If I know the weight, I can get a better idea of the expected performance based on the tests that are out there. Maybe a 75 is a better match, for better fuel economy? although looking at tests, the 90 seems the same generally as a 75.

I'ld love for folks out there with the same boat to post their performance numbers and re-power recommendations. I'm not sure how heavy the motor should be, with the effect on planing attitude, porposing, turning etc. The 60 Evinrude weighs 248 lbs, and there is a wide variation of 90 hp engine weights out there: from 261-400 lbs :eek:

Any discussion on any topic for this boat is welcomed, and I'll try to answer any questions as best I can, and no, I don't know what speed the boat did with the 60, as I don't have a GPS (yet). Maybe 28 mph or so?

Attachments

• SpringbokLH-frtSide.jpg
    SpringbokLH-frtSide.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 15
  • SpringbokRear.jpg
    SpringbokRear.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 8
  • SpringbokRH-frtSide.jpg
    SpringbokRH-frtSide.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 9
  • CleanInterior2.jpg
    CleanInterior2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 9

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Springbok Super Pro 17.6 re-power

Hello fellow "Springboker"... Nice boat! I too have been trying to get specs on my Springbok but frustratingly, there is nothing to be found on the internet. Mine is a 1987 Springbok Marlin Supreme, its a family bowrider not a fishing boat like yours and my hull design is a little different too. When I bought mine it had a 60hp Merc on it but I re-powered it with a 1988 110hp Johnson. Like yours, mine is rated for 90hp so Im 20hp over the recommended limit but since the Johnson 90 and 110 are the same basic motor and they both weigh the same I dont consider my upgrade to be dangerous in any way. To be safe I bought a 90hp engine cover to put on it just in case the authorities were to check the specs during a routine stop, though I have never heard of this happening in Ontario. My hole shot is amazing and I clocked it on GPS at 64 kph with a 17 pitch prop. (It was still climbing but I was running out of lake and had to back off) I plan to experiment this summer with a 19 pitch prop to see if I can gain a little more top end speed.
What lake(s) do you boat on?

kencat

Seaman

Aerocook, thanks for the kind words on the boat. It's a solid well made boat, and still doesn't leak in water at all. Hasn't been ridden hard in big waves. I boat mainly in the Peterborough area, Chemong, Pigeon, Rice.....and hope to do more exploring on Sturgeon this summer.

I have a deal on an 87 90hp Johnson (rebuilt powerhead) so I'm having that put on this week. Can't wait to get in and let her fly......hopefully not literally :eek:

I would have thought that a 110 would get a boat like ours to 45 or 50 mph???. Should push a 19 pitch no problem. I'm hoping the 90 will do a 19p on mine. I guess the real world will show me though eh? :)

I'll post more after a test flight, and maybe I can find someone with a GPS.

AEROCOOK

I tried a 19 p on my boat last summer and was able to hit 5400 RPM but it took a while to get there and I didnt have a GPS with me so I dont know what my speed was. The 17 p reaches 5800 RPM very quickly and comes very close to 6000 if I hold the throttle wide open for a while, which I dont like to do. I have also been experimenting with motor height on the transom,I think I went too high because I had porpoising issues last summer. Prior to launching for the summer I plan to lower the motor down 1 hole and see if the porpoising goes away. As for prop selection I use the 17 p under normal (for me) operating conditions which includes 4 people on board and towing a skier or tube. I would love to experiment with stainless props of varying pitch and diameter just to see what I can get out of my boat motor package, but without some sort of commitment of purchase, most dealers wont let you try out their props.
I think you will be pleased with the performance of the 90hp and depending on the weight of your boat I expect you will get at least 40 mph and maybe a lot more out of it.
BTW I spent many a summer on Pigeon / Buckhorn lakes as a kid... Lots of great memories.

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

kencat - I concur - you have a nice looking boat there. Will be interested to see how you do with your 90.

I have a Marlin Supreme like Aerocook does - mine has a Johnson 75 on it. Seems to pull pretty nicely though I noticed it was quite sensitive to trim (to keep from porpoising), and mine had a Shark Fin on it which I removed after half a season, and found it to handle better and no loss of speed.

Mark

kencat

Seaman

Thanks Mark, for the kind words. It's not a pristine showcase boat by any means, as she's been stored outside and has been used. In good mechanical shape and floats, so good enough for me for now.

I was out with the the guy that installed the 90 for me (bought it from him as well), and he was being easy with it for break-in, but hit it a few times and the acceleration felt pretty sweet, kind of put you back in the seat.

I was impressed by how quiet the motor was, much more so than the 60.

I bought a tach yesterday and ordered the harness so I'll be able to install it next weekend and hopefully get out and put time on it for break-in. Starting with a 17 pitch prop which should make it easier on the motor initially.

Anyone know what the weight of the 90HP is? I was surprised how well the Springbok sat with it in the water, given that the old 60HP was only 250 lbs. I saw a post here that said the 90 was around 300 lbs. I thought they were heavier.

I'll keep updating as time goes along.

AEROCOOK

That motor will weigh just over 300lbs... My 1988 110 Johnson weighs 306 and its virtually the same motor.

kencat

Seaman

That motor will weigh just over 300lbs... My 1988 110 Johnson weighs 306 and its virtually the same motor.

So, 60hp is 4.17 lbs/hp and the 90 is 3.4 lbs/hp................:D

Northporter

Recruit
Another 1987 Marlin Supreme

Another 1987 Marlin Supreme

Hey Aerocook, looks we have twin boats. I think my Marlin Supreme is an '87 as well, I have had it for 4 years. I have a 115hp Merc on it, which is above the boat rating of course, but it has been there through the previous 2 owners and no problems. And yes, it flies, got up to ~45mph on GPS (19p) and backed off (chickened out) still with some throttle left at that point. I use it mostly on the Upper Ottawa River, get a lot of compliments on it.

Attachments

• IMG_7411.JPG
    IMG_7411.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

AEROCOOK

Nice boat Northporter!
Yours has a sleeker looking hull design than mine based on the photo. Yes, I bet you do get lots of complimennts on it, I get lots on mine too. It seems Aluminum bowrider family boats are in short supply. When I went shopping for a boat that was all I was interested in, you dont know what you are getting in a 20+ year old fiberglass boat, they can look pretty but have structural issues due to rot.

blackbeard

Cadet

yea your hull is way sleeker then mine as well mine looks alot like aerococks boat mine is a 89 marlin with 70hrs mrec. i would really like a bigger motor so i could keep up to u guys lol

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

Blackbeards 89, Aerocook's 87, and my 85 all look pretty much the same (in fact, my interior is identical to Blackbeard's).

This showed up on kijiji today - apparently a 78:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=225235024&ImageIndex=1

(Don't know how long this will be up on the site)....it's older but looks the same as the three I mentioned.

Northporter's definitely looks sleeker - sharper in the front....does anyone know if there was a "sport" model?

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is mine ,I think its a 1977 model #1676 16 foot Aluminum with a 1977 evinrude and Aluminum trailer I picked up last Sat inside is very good and can,t wait till spring to see her float .What do you guys think about my gem..cost me $1400 canadian motor has 130 psi on all 3 banks
3881759_20.jpg

Last edited:

markk900

Seaman Apprentice

Nice looking boat Gary. Have you got more photos of it?

Quite a good deal as well....what motor is on it?

Mark

jbcurt00

Staff member
Is this thread still active
No, its been nearly 5yrs since there was a post.

After 90days w/out posts, consider topics for research only and like library books, not to be written in

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.