1988 Sears Gamefisher 9.9 - ignition problem

GermanInAlaska

Recruit
Hi guys,

I have found a old Sears Gamefisher 9.9 from 1988 in my fathers shack.
He said he had some problems with it ~25 years ago and that was when he put it in there and never looked at it again, but if I can get it running, I can sell it and keep the money or use it.
He could unfortunately not remember what was wrong with it though. He said something about it not having the power it should have but he never really investigated.

So yesterday I started to work on it and first of all cleaned everything - It is looking pretty good.

After that I wanted to see if it has spark and compression. And that is where I ran into some problems.

Only one sparkplug produces sparks. (Both actual plugs are good though)
For some reason it seems like one of the coils has gone bad.

Now I have some questions:
1. How can I make sure it really is the coil that is bad and nothing else? I tryed using an Ohm-meter but I dont know what it should read and where I should start measuring. Any tips here would be appreciated.
2. If it is the coil, how can I safely remove it without breaking anything? It seems riveted to me. There is no screws to unscrew anything. See attached pictures.
3. What could that brown/black gunk be that is under the coil? It is rocksolid and it seems like it is glue or something similar. It is under both coils.

I have worked on some outboard motors and scooters before, but I have never done any work on the actual ignition system.

I would appreciate any help you guys can give me! It would be awesome if I can get that old motor running again.

Attachments

• 3 bearbeitet.jpg
    3 bearbeitet.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4 bearbeitet.jpg
    4 bearbeitet.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 1 bearbeitet.jpg
    1 bearbeitet.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2 bearbeitet.jpg
    2 bearbeitet.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 9

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
And that motor is made by Force. Mercury dealer probably has the coil but I would look on-line much cheaper that way.

GermanInAlaska

Recruit
Thanks for your replies! :)

Ok, so I have the coil out of the motor and measured it again. The secondary winding works fine, but I dont get any readings off of the primary winding.

Could you guys help me find something that works as a reaplacement? I have seen many online but they all have different serial/parts numbers.

This was one of the ones I found on Amazon for a decent price:
Amazon Ignition Coil Tecumseh

would this work?
How can I find out if it is the right coil with the right resistance or not?

Oh, and should I replace both coils or is it enough to replace the bad one?

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_162254.jpg
    IMG_20220831_162254.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220831_162310_edit_812945587285328.jpg
    IMG_20220831_162310_edit_812945587285328.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 3

The Force power

Commander
Thanks for your replies! :)

Ok, so I have the coil out of the motor and measured it again. The secondary winding works fine, but I dont get any readings off of the primary winding.

Could you guys help me find something that works as a reaplacement? I have seen many online but they all have different serial/parts numbers.

This was one of the ones I found on Amazon for a decent price:
Amazon Ignition Coil Tecumseh

would this work?
How can I find out if it is the right coil with the right resistance or not?

Oh, and should I replace both coils or is it enough to replace the bad one?
try here

GermanInAlaska

Recruit

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You can buy the magneto only and put it on the lamenet. Its a Wico prestolite coil made for many years and used on different machines and outboards. Thats really pricey. I would keep shopping