1988 Pontiac Sunbird! ***Repair underway***

one more cast

Captain
Re: 1988 Pontiac Sunbird! ***Repair underway***

"just be thankful it doesn't have the 2.8 V6, a horrible wretched motor, guaranteed to throw a rod " UNTRUE<br /> I had a 92 s-10 with a 2.8 and never a problem in 136,000 miles and the new owner loves it and has over 160,000 on it now. I always used 5w-30 oil changed at 3000-5000 miles with new filter.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Even though that fender is junk, your going to have to pull it out the best you can before taking it off the car.<br /><br />If you take that one off as-is, the new one isn't going to line up right, maybe not even go on at all.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

See, I knew there was one last surviving 2.8 out there somewhere... :) Just try to find one at a salvage yard, they are all gone. Horrid engines, the Force of the automotive world, but hey, someone has to have good luck with it....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> See, I knew there was one last surviving 2.8 out there somewhere... :) Just try to find one at a salvage yard, they are all gone. Horrid engines, the Force of the automotive world, but hey, someone has to have good luck with it....
Naw Jason, It's a 1.8 four banger. An equal POS but it just had it's mandatory head gasket/resurface about 30K ago so it should be good for awhile. It does have an oil leak somewhere so I had it in the driveway today, pressure washing 17 years of goo off everything. Tomorrow I hope to find the source of oil.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Well the deal is sealed and the repair is underway. So far all is pretty much as expected. The only structual distoration, aside from the front impact bar, is a slight bending of the bumper mounting plate at the front end of the left box frame member. I'll be able to pull it out straight/flat with a chain hooked to my Suburban.<br /><br />The previous owner reported that the car had just started smoking from under the hood and there was plenty of evidence of fresh oil all over the motor. After a pressure wash I could find no oil dripping from logical places. <br /><br />I took the car for a several mile run and found signs of fresh oil covering various engine parts, kind of a misty covering. I pulled the dipstick. Oil was very clear and clean but at least a quart overfull. Turns out the vehicle had just had an oil change prior to it's accident. They over filled it. <br /><br />We just presented the car to my son this morning. Even though it was not the Thunderbird he had hoped to buy, he was very happy after the test drive. It was made clear to him that he was going to be a big part of the repair and that once it was accomplished AND he had his Eagle Project submitted for approval, the keys would be handed over to him. He is paying for the car, of course.<br /><br />
021338.jpg
<br />
021490.jpg
<br /><br />Oh and by the way, the motor is a 2.0L

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jasonj:we had a Beretta with 2.8 ---334000+miles,guys I worked with called it the black bullet.. never ever had a lick of problems with it!!!Sorry Boomyal... just had to say something,good luck with the car,I'm sure its a decent car(from what I've reddd)