1988 Marlin Bowrider/ Is it worth fixing? Please Help!

Frank1530

Recruit
So i bought my first boat, tested it in the lake, all is good right? No, as i got it hme and started doing more research i discovered a long list of things needing repair. A little info on the boat. Its a 20 foot Marlin Bowrider with mercruiser 4.3 I/O Alpha one. Motor is 6 months old, and upolstery is also 6 months old, thats the good news. I paid 2000 for boat and trailer. The bad. Floor has soft spot, dont know how i missed it. The transom is half rotted. The gel coat has some spider cracking not too bad. Hiding behind one of the beams of the trailer was a crack 2 inches long 1/4 ich wide that was into the fiberglass. Given the boat price and info is this worth fixing. Any advice would be appreciated i am a rookie to the boat world and i think i might be screwed.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Marlin Bowrider/ Is it worth fixing? Please Help!

Welcome to iBoats!
Check out my signature on how to post pics and post em!!! This will help us to help you. Everything can be fixed. Just a matter of Time, Money, and Effort.

Frank1530

Recruit

Its dark these are the only pics i have so far ill take pics of damage tommorow.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sharp boat. I'd fix it. A good motor and interior is a big plus. Definitely a worthwhile project. Good luck with it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It ALL depends on the three things I mentioned. Do you Have and do you WANT to invest the time needed fix to her. A ROUGH estimate is a MINIMUM of 100 hours to replace the floor, stringers & Transom. A ROUGH Cost is $500 - $1,000 for Materials. EFFORT is a LOT of HOT, ITCHY work. GOOD NEWS is you will have some of the most experienced help you could ever hope for, helping you every step of the way. Like EZ said a Good Motor and Interior puts you WAY AHEAD of most of the projects we see on here.

Soooooo....... It's decision time!!!!!:D

Whatcha Gunna Do!!!!!!!

Do an advanced Search on the forum for Deck Replacement. You'll see what you're in for. If the transom is NOT Totally shot you might use her for this season and then DRY DOCK her this Fall and Winter and be ready to go for next year.