1988 Johnson 150 3 Month Old Fuel Problem HELP!!!

So going on 3 months with this problem. 1988 Evinrude (Not Johnson) 150 V6 E150STLCCA outboard. The problem is the fuel. VRO stopped pumping fuel, so it was replaced. Worked for 15 minutes and it stopped pumping fuel. Replaced it AGAIN and it has stopped pumping again. All fuel lines have been replaced with clear lines, so I can see what the fuel is doing. No leaks of any kind. Carbs rebuilt. Pulse line is pumping out plenty of air. Compression is 120 on all cylinders. Fuel is connected to auxillary tank directly into the VRO with ZERO leaks.

​​​​I prime the fuel with the primer ball until it gets hard. I fire the engine up and watch as the fuel slowly depletes and the engine dies. I refuse to believe that 2 brand new EVINRUDE OEM VRO pumps failed within weeks of each other. Does anyone have any other ideas???

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
do you have a johnson or a mercury?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I know the VRO pump is BLACK.----Why are you referring to a MERCURY OEM VRO pumps.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Test run with an other hose and portable fuel tank.-----Where did you purchase the new VRO pumps.

I have switched to a portable tank and a different hose. I work at a marina and the parts were purchased from Mercury. This is my first time in 4 years turning to an internet forum, but I'm truly clueless about this one. And I'm very much enjoying this site 😁