1988 Javelin 366 Full Restoration

Andrewman999

Recruit
Hello, first-time poster but I figured someone with more knowledge may have some pointers or at least find my resto interesting.

Some background- this thing is ROTTEN everywhere.... The guy claims he drove it 3 years ago but there is no way with the amount of rot I've found (which I knew was the case from the beginning) The wood is just mush

Onto my question, I need to replace all the stringers/floor and the plywood in the transom.
Attached are pictures of the longest stringer which I planned to replace before redoing the transom but I'm unsure how to proceed. It seems that the longest stringer goes all the way to the transom which makes sense but I'm not sure how to get to it to replace it in the picture the red lines are where I think I should cut but I don't wanna remove too many supports as to not lose the shape of the hull. I don't know I'm kinda stuck on what to do next.

ANY advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1727026133822.png
    1727026133822.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 1727026254407.png
    1727026254407.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 1727026306499.png
    1727026306499.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

todhunter

Canoeist
Measure and sketch, then cut it all out. Either build a cradle, or measure hull widths every foot from bow to stern, then cut everything out. I used ratchet straps to pull my hull slightly back into shape before glassing new things in.

Andrewman999

Recruit
Measure and sketch, then cut it all out. Either build a cradle, or measure hull widths every foot from bow to stern, then cut everything out. I used ratchet straps to pull my hull slightly back into shape before glassing new things in.
Thanks so much I’ve taken tons of measurements because I know getting it back together is always the hardest part

By cut it all out do you also mean the triangular braces for the transom ?

todhunter

Canoeist
Yes. It's going to be easier to just get all the old wood out and out all new wood in, versus trying to work around some small pieces here and there that are left behind.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Read the links in the 3rd sticky down at the top of the forum.