1988 force Full throttle only 3500 rpm

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I did the wide open test one time. NEVER again!!
Tided to the dock isn't the way to get WOT unless
you have a test wheel and run it in a test tank.
The motor doesn't spool up when tied to
the dock.
The static timing should get you close enough

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
WOY doe not need to be with the boat running free. The timing is mechanical and has to do with the effect of the bias circuit at high RPM. It needs to be high enough to kick in but it levels off at the peak. If you have a problem you will see the timing go too high even if you are not at maximum RPM.
For a jet boat (like mine) it makes little or no difference. A conventional outboard it does make a difference.
What happens if the bias circuit is incorrect is the rate of voltage rise increases with the increased rpm, advancing the spark.
If you are not worried then skip the WOT running test and trust that bias circuit from power off test at 300 rpm.
The only reason I say all of this is that I converted a CDI system to a CDM where in the CDI the bias circuit is in the box and the CDM it is in the trigger. Using the CDI trigger without the bias circuit cost me a piston.
Of course you cannot test WOT in the driveway with the engine running.

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Situational-depends what you’re comfortable with, what you’ve got access to and what you’ll accept as good enough. As redbarron said “ in my opinion”. We’re all in the same boat so to speak and all speak from personal preferences or experience