1988 Force 50 HP - Leaking water

Shmoontang

Recruit
I have a 1988 Force 50 HP motor that seems to run very well except that it seems to be leaking water out of one of the bolts that hold the lowere unit onto the motor. (It even sometimes looks "oily") Is this normal? or Are there some leaking seals or something? The water pump is working well as water is shooting out of the two holes, but I am not sure if water should be coming out by this bolt. Also,if it is leaking, does this mean that my lower unit gears are also soaking in h20?<br /><br />Any help would be appreciated.<br />Thank You

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1988 Force 50 HP - Leaking water

Shmoo,the stuff you are seeing is leftover gas/oil mix that didnt get burned...is normal.if you are worried about yer gearlube,crack the lower fill screw an see what comes out...any water will settle to the bottom of the case.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

One one is right-on.<br />I have the same engine,and it scared the berjeezus outa me too,until I took a closer look. A neat trick to check level/contents of your lower unit, is to get some pipe cleaners from the drug store, and use them for "dipsticks" in the vent screw hole.<br />No scense in loosing all the lube ifn you dont have to.<br />I check mine after ever trip. Replace the vent screw gasket each time. (they are cheap,at 5 for 2 bukz or so).<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Time to change my tagline

Shmoontang

Recruit

Thank you very much for your advice. I did check the lower unit oil and it looks good. Sice you seem to know so much I have another concern. When I was giving the motor a test run the other day....I noticed that when I push the controls to "rev" up the engine......it revs up.....but it is slow to "rev down" after I move the controls back to neutral...(it still keeps reving even afer i move to neutral) it should come right back to idle speed...is something sticking? How do I know wht it is? What can I do?<br /><br />Thank you so much for your help!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Well, I don't really know that much,but I can tell ya, that's the nature of the beast, to take forever to wind back down after you goose the throttle. Most outboards do.It's caused by the reeds/compression trying to draw enough fuel for the revs,and it draws more fuel than needed form the carb bowl(s).<br />But if it wasn't designed to do this,being a fuel-oiled engine,it would destroy it in short order.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Time to change my tagline

Shmoontang

Recruit

Thank you 12footer,<br /><br />My main concern is that the motor usually did throttle down when i shifted back to neutral.<br /><br />It only started to keep revving recently....I am thinking it is perhaps a sticking cable or linkage or something, or maybe something needs lubricated. ?<br /><br />Thanks for your help.....you are all a great help.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Oh,ok...I thought you meant when you goose the throttle by hand,and the RPM's didn't fall-off very fast.<br />But you might have something loose.<br />Look at the throttle cam on the carb,while moving the helm-throttle to full,then back to idle. The throttle cam,(aluminum shiny pivot arm)has a line scribed-into it,where the throttle's cam wheel rides, and it should be on that line in idle.No need for the engine to be running for this.<br />Also,make sure there is no wiggle to it, or any other part of the linkage.<br />If you need to adjust the idle setting,do it at that little black,plastic wheel that rides the edge of the cam.If you do it on the linkage,it'll throw the timing out,and also the forward/idle settings.<br />Like I said tho, I don't have all the answers,I just happened to spend alotta time on mine, making sure it was ready before it hits water.<br />(I allways do this).A tad anal, I know.But There are only two places to mess with an engine,right???<br />
smile.gif
<br /> <br /><br />------------------<br />Time to change my tagline

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Schmoo, are you having this revving problem on the flushing ears or in the lake? when out of the water all the 2 cyl force motors will take awhile to settle down after revving...if it does it in the lake, then either the linkage is not going against the idle stop, or the idle speed is set too high.

Shmoontang

Recruit

Thanx ODDD1<br /><br />It appears to be doing this with the ears on. I haven't been able to take it out on the water to see if it is doing it on the water.....however.....even with ears....it never did this before.....it just started acting this way....maybe 4 or 5 days ago.<br /><br />I will check the linkages as well as the idle settings....<br /><br />thanx

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Put er in the water before you grab the screwdriver.....