1988 Evinrude 90hp oily leak

ssmyth

Cadet
I just got back from vacation and have a couple issues with my outboard. i have read several posts with similar problems, and am not sure if i need to get this fixed right away or it can wait for off season.

i am getting alot of oily goo leaking from what appears to be from the exhaust gaskets or the powerhead to adapter gasket. does this need to be fixed right away, or can it wait. i had to putter at no wake for 1/3 mile prior to loading the boat, which probably enhances the unburnt fuel that is leaking.
also, i used the walmart oil this time around. could this cause more of the leaking oil?

also, when starting, it seems to smoke more than before, then goes away after 5 seconds or so. i understand some smoke is normal on a cold start, but how much is too much. could it be the wally oil?

and last, somtime middle of the week, the ring on my prop spun off. it did not seem to change the performance. I believe this is the ring that helps prevent cavitation? at the rear of the prop.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1988 Evinrude 90hp oily leak

From your description I don't think you need to do anything now if at all. An oily leak is unburnt fuel/oil and should not harm your engine. And yes the first thing I would do is switch to a named brand oil.

ssmyth

Cadet
Re: 1988 Evinrude 90hp oily leak

im pretty sure the exhaust cover gasket is leaking. i was thinking about replacing those. the adapter to power head might be leaking also. i was wondering if i replace the exhaust gasket now, would i have to do it again if i replaced the power head to adapter gasket later, if that was leaking? i didnt know if the exhaust cover would have to be removed again to replace the other gasket.

also, i recently did a carb rebuild, and i had to tighen the bowls down a little more than i wanted to, as they are warped a little. they do not leak anymore, but i was wondering if that could cause some issues with the floats. the gasket is not flattened completely at the corners, maybe 1/2 flattened. i unhook the gas when not in use.

it starts right up and will stall if i dont lift the high idle arm on the controls when cold starting. after it is warm, it will start and idle with the arm down. the smoke goes away during idling after 3-5 seconds.