1988 Evinrude 2.5hp Model E3RCCM SHAFT REMOVAL STUCK ... NEWBIE outboard mechanic

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
I CANNOT seem to get the shaft to release from the upper housing. It's probably a simple solution BUT ... I have looked for over two hours trying to find a way to release that shaft so I can get to the impeller. I am having water flow problems and cooling problems that are causing the engine to get too hot and the last time, the motor froze. Thankfully, I took the spark plugs out and it turned again. WHEH!

Anyway, from what I have learned the first step was checking into the impeller next since water doesn't seem to be processing well enough and perhaps parts are pretty shot at this point.

Here's what I've done so far.

I have taken bolts out of bottom to release shaft to check impeller. Can't seem to find a release bolt, pin etc, to disengage it. Should it just come right down? Is it stuck? OR, where in the world is that bolt! I have taken off the TWO bolts that are on a 2.5hp Evinrude. I have checked youtube, online notes, ***************** trying to find help all day ... NOTHING on this motor.

I've spent too much time trying to JUST disengage the shaft.

Really appreciate any help you can give me.

EMH

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Evinrude 2.5hp Model E3RCCM SHAFT REMOVAL STUCK ... NEWBIE outboard mechanic

Just 2 bolts to remove and the lower unit should nearly fall off.----------But many motors are not properly maintained and water could have gotton into where the shaft slides into the crankshaft.----This jams it all up with corrosion products.---Give it a good bump with a rubber mallet and see what happens.

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1988 Evinrude 2.5hp Model E3RCCM SHAFT REMOVAL STUCK ... NEWBIE outboard mechanic

Appreciate the knowledge that I won't be prying against a pin I missed. I just stopped taking things off before it got UGLY! I'm back out on it to see if more bumps will do it ... or perhaps need to sock it with something sprayed or poured down the shaft? What would be suggested as I've seen other post on solutions to try. Checking into what's in the garage or headed over the Autozone to get something ... any advice on WD-40 or others?

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the confidence racerone! IT WORKED! Now for the repair of the impeller. Wasn't rusted or anything like that ... actually just old oil or grease buildup! Ready to move on ... renewed energy! I guess I was hesitant not wanting to break anything but with a screw driver and and hammer hitting the screw driver ... it loosen and on the 5th hit! Whoala!

THANKS

Ripekg

Seaman Apprentice

NOW ... another question if I may ... where in the world is the PEE hole to this water flow. Did this design of 1988 Evinrude E3RCCM 2.5hp not use a PEE HOLE for water outlet? Perhaps that's what the problem is ... a CLOGGED LINE? I haven't seen water come out anywhere. Thanks. EMH