1988 ebko choke question

wtg2320

Seaman
Hello all,

I have recently inherited a 1988 EBKO Monte Carlo with a 3.0 mercruiser. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a owners manual for this boat? I am trying to figure out how to choke the boat before I start it. On my old Glastron I would push in the button on the base of the shift lever and pump in three or four times and it would fire right up. I am trying to find out how to choke this motor the same way. On this boat, I have to push the red button that engages the shift lever, and pull out the shift lever to throttle the motor, but It doesn't seem to work the same way that my Glastron did when I choked it. Has anyone owned a EBKO that could give me some recommendations or that could point me in the direction of a owners manual? The boat runs great, but I still have not found the sweet spot to start it, I have had some issues getting it started, it always starts but it sometimes take a while, and sounds like the battery is about to die due to how long it takes to get it started. Any help would be appreciated!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
It would have a carb so you would need to put the control handel in throttle only position , move the handel 3 -4 strokes to prime the motor .,And if the choke has been adjusted correctly, turn the key to start.

wtg2320

Seaman
I've tried that but it seems that I flood it then. I didn't know if I should move the handle 3-4 times with this kind of boat or not. It also seems to start rougher after I have ran it for a while

wtg2320

Seaman
No Title

Attachments

• photo275472.jpg
    photo275472.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo275473.jpg
    photo275473.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0

wtg2320

Seaman
When I pump the throttle 3 times it doesn't move, I tried pumping it 10 times to see what happens and the plate opened all the way up. I hope it is just an adjustment issue and not more. If you need any other pics let me know.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The upper plate is the choke and is controlled electrically. With the motor cold, loosen the 3 side screws and turn the black housing to close to within a 1/8 inch of fully closed.
With the plate fully open look inside the carb to see if gas is squirting when the throttle is pumped.