1988 blue fin with a ford 2.3 I/o with cobra outdrive

signguy1

Cadet
Hello everyone I was given an 88 blue fin mod 1950 sportsmen that has the 2.3 engine in it I was told the engine was shot I haven't pulled it yet to see if it's true but when i tried to turn the crank with a socket it wouldn't budge, I was wondering if it's worth trying to rebuild the engine and if soo if any1 knows where i might be able to find a rebuild kit for it I fell in love with the boat when i first saw it. it needs a lot of wrk but i think it will be worth it in the end I just dont have the 3 grand to drop on a new engine becuase i have to redo the floor and seating and such thanks in advance.

chiefalen

Captain
Re: 1988 blue fin with a ford 2.3 I/o with cobra outdrive

If it were my boat i would pull the spark plugs. Shoot some pb blaster or something in each hole.

Wait a few hours and keep shooting it and try to turn the crank.

What the plugs look like.

If after a day it still don't budge i would pull the drive. Maybe thats whats frozen, keeping you from turning the crank.

Anyway you should pull the drive anyway, redo the rubber check the impeller install a new one.

Check the gimbal bearing.

Hows the out drive and motor oil look?

The oil tells alot of the story.

signguy1

Cadet

Ok I went down to where the boat is stored currently and pulled the dipstick there is a very slight amount of water in the engine, Oil is not mily white but does have a slight tinge of white to it, I forgot my sparkplug wrench so i will be heading back down in a little bit and pull the plugs to see what they look like tanks alot, when i put the outdrive in neutral the prop spins with no difficulty. Thanks for the advice.

signguy1

Cadet

I was wondering if any1 could help me with information on how to pull the outdrive off this boat and also if any1 knows of any websites that carry parts for the 2.3 ford omc Thanks alot