1988 Bayliner stiff steering

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer
Does anybody know how to loosen up the steering on my 1988 Bayliner 85 hp force. I pumped grease into the fitting last summer but it only loosened it up 50 percent. What is the procedure on maintenance for this? I don't want to ruin the transmission in the steering wheel. There is already a little play in it. Another question. What is the best way to replace the grease nipple in 85 Force? Thanks for your help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 Bayliner stiff steering

Ayuh,... Remove the cable from the tilt tube...

If it doesn't turn very Easily,...
Replace the Helm, 'n Cable as a package deal....

If it Does turn Easily,... Clean the crud outa the tilt tube, 'n grease it...

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

I think I have to replace the grease nipples in the motor. Won't take the grease. Any ideas that would keep me from drilling them out before I snap the threads inside.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

No takers? I guess no one here has had this problem changing seized grease nipples.
Well, go'n have to try the old brake line trick.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I don't think you will snap them because I am reasonably sure that they are press-in.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think you will snap them because I am reasonably sure that they are press-in.

That's the first I heard. How do I get it out? Do I use a crowbar or use a vise grips and slowly move?
I don't want to end up with steel filings in my steering hinge asm

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I have had many cables stiffen up, I would free them up with throtle cable lube often used in the motor cycle industry. You will have to remove the coupler from the engine to let gravity send the lube into the jacket. Inevitably I usiually end up eventually having to replace the cable in a year or two. You may want to replace it, they are not really expensive. You will not need to mess with it again.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry kmarine I am referring to the 85 force motor steering hinge, the grease nipple is corroded I can't hook on the grease gun. It doesn't matter how hard I push it won't take the grease.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

You are in luck, one of my favorite interior suppliers rochford supply is in your back yard Brooklyn park mn. They carry marine carpet, and upholstry. ask about special buys and close outs. These deals cant be beat. rochfordsupply.com Talk to Kevin or Sreve They may also be able to give advice or find a affordable upholsterer in your area.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, that last post belongs somewhere else, You need to remove the cable from the engine and oil the cable end. the zerk is corroded and useless right now. You may need to use a spray penetrating oil like pb blaster to free up any engine hinges. You will have to work in the oil the hard way.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, that last post belongs somewhere else, You need to remove the cable from the engine and oil the cable end. the zerk is corroded and useless right now. You may need to use a spray penetrating oil like pb blaster to free up any engine hinges. You will have to work in the oil the hard way.
Ok, thanks. Just don't like working with soft white metal.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry it is not an easy fix and the white metal is britle so you have to go slow and work the oil in.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

I am going to try and use a punch, a sharp but blunt end to open up the grease nipple end. And get my son to pump the grease gun while I force the nipple to take the grease.
I am going to resolve this issue one way or the other. Hopefully the one way.
She is still backed up in the garage and waiting for some fresh air.
Thank again Kmarine