Re: 1988 70 HP Johnson Cooling System Modification (+ Additional Work)
Excellent thought and probably so
Not sure but it came with the kit so I installed it.
No part number that I could find but I think I could find something similar at the harware store. All this grommet does is hold the indicator hose in place when the restrictor is replaced.
Will do
Here is a picture of the kit showing all of the contents (taken from the eBay ad that I purchased from):
View attachment 120779
Hey, hopefully you are still on this forum. Because I can’t find anything regarding this motor and of course I don’t know the exact model because of the darn transom plate or sticker that’s not there in the freeze plug. I have wasn’t able to give me any assistance from anybody with taking the numbers off of it. But anyway, if you could either explain to me or share a picture or something of that nature regarding the thermostat and what else is in there with it because I’m replacing mine since it recently started to run hot and it’s stuck closed. I found out so being that it was always fine and I never had issues but I started reading online about a pop valve/pressure relief valve and I found things that might be before this motor but I’m not sure but then I was reading that the thermostat itself sort of acts like the poppet valve because it presses against the spring and when it heats up, everything works accordingly. Because when I got the boat up until a month ago, I never had any problems and the only thing in the thermostat housing was the spring and the thermostat. And I was doing work on the boat this winter so I took the motor off and took the thermostat out to look at something and then I dropped a bolt so if it doesn’t need anything other than the thermostat and the spring, I just want to know the order they go. It appears it should be the threaded side of the thermostat with the mushroom head part facing away from the boat and the threaded part going into the cylinder head first and then spring goes on the rubber pointed part of the thermostat and onto the cover that is held closed with four bolts. So basically, if there is anything other than just the thermostat and the spring in there, if you can let me know the parts that would be great and no matter what I still need to know the direction and order everything goes back together because I think I am right, but also Google and all this AI crap just make matters worse and starts confusing everything so whoever sees this, whether it’s the original post person or somebody else, if they can, please answer those two questions for me, but the motor always ran perfectly fine, especially with the age of this, and it only had the spring and the thermostat in place and that little rubber Gromit that’s in the cylinder head as well. But I’m gonna find out now when I put it in the water, but hopefully somebody can give me an answer so I know if things are in the correct order whether it runs right or not at the moment
I found great videos when it came to doing my lower unit oil seals that helped a lot but when it comes to this part of the motor, I guess there was three different types that Johnson/Evinrude had that year