1988 50hp merc DOES NOT PUMP WATER BUT ?

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Engine purrs like a kitten runs very well even after 25 MINUTES of running no water coming out exhaust or pisser tube -- exhaust cover does NOT GET HOT nor do the cylinders or cylinder head ? ran in tank not muffs could t-stat be pulled by someone else prior to my owning ? plugged pipe in lower ? thanks iboat members

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1988 50hp merc DOES NOT PUMP WATER BUT ?

Sorry but it's pretty much impossible to run that long without any cooling water, and not have the motor self-destruct. I've run motors in a tank/barrel where they were obviously cooling well, but little or no water was flowing out the exhaust reliefs. Just a matter of backpressure and water flow. The more water you have in the tank (at least halfway up the level of the center section) the more backpressure you'll get and the more likely water will be forced out the exhaust ports.

If you were to run the motor on muffs, I think you'd find that plenty of warm water will run out of the center of the prop, indicating that it's passing thru the powerhead and picking up heat on the way.

You'll likely see normal water flow when you're underway. I'm assuming you do get exhaust gasses out of the reliefs and they aren't plugged.

The lack of water from the telltale is most likely due to plugged hose or telltale fitting, a blast of compressed air up the fitting may clear the telltale.

HTH...........ed

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 50hp merc DOES NOT PUMP WATER BUT ?

Sorry but it's pretty much impossible to run that long without any cooling water, and not have the motor self-destruct. I've run motors in a tank/barrel where they were obviously cooling well, but little or no water was flowing out the exhaust reliefs. Just a matter of backpressure and water flow. The more water you have in the tank (at least halfway up the level of the center section) the more backpressure you'll get and the more likely water will be forced out the exhaust ports.

If you were to run the motor on muffs, I think you'd find that plenty of warm water will run out of the center of the prop, indicating that it's passing thru the powerhead and picking up heat on the way.

You'll likely see normal water flow when you're underway. I'm assuming you do get exhaust gasses out of the reliefs and they aren't plugged.

The lack of water from the telltale is most likely due to plugged hose or telltale fitting, a blast of compressed air up the fitting may clear the telltale.

HTH...........ed

had the tank filled to top almost submerging exhaust ports

but had a brain fart in the mean time i pulled brass water jacket plug on the of engine block put in a hose barb with same treads of course and idled it --little or no water -- took it to 1/4 with warm up lever and it started pumping slow but it pumped so i am going to drop lower and put in NEW pump and have a look see thanks for the reply