1988 4.3 omc wont start

Brandoninkc

Cadet
Hello I was just gifted a 1988 vip that has the 4.3 omc cobra 2 barrel 175hp I believe it had been sitting for 3 years I changed the oil the filter the fuel filter and I put a new carb on the boat after that I started it in my driveway poured a little bit of gas in the carb and it fired right up the idle was a little high but I was able to start it multiple times so I took it to the lake for a test run backed it down the ramp started right up ran for about 1 minute and died and I can not get it to start again even in my driveway now before I went I filled the gas tank and added seafoam I'm thinking I've got some clogged fuel lines but I did see when I have it throttle gas was shooting but while turning the engine over I'm not sure so now it's acting like it wants to start but just won't I know check spark compression etc I'm thinking I might have a clog anymore suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Service the points, 'n then run it off a remote tank, with clean fresh gasoline, to narrow down the problem,.....

alldodge

Staff member
believe it had been sitting for 3 years
Welcome

Agree with Bondo
Adding good gas to bad gas just gives you more bad gas. Could be the fuel filter is full of water and or crud

Brandoninkc

Cadet
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Service the points, 'n then run it off a remote tank, with clean fresh gasoline, to narrow down the problem,.....
Any idea what the points gap should be? I disconnected the fuel tank and tried to see if it would fire up with some starter fluid wouldn't I checked the spark I'm getting spark I'm pretty sure it's flooded I can see a pool of gas down in the carb any ideas on how to un flood the engine as well

alldodge

Staff member
Any idea what the points gap should be? I disconnected the fuel tank and tried to see if it would fire up with some starter fluid wouldn't I checked the spark I'm getting spark I'm pretty sure it's flooded I can see a pool of gas down in the carb any ideas on how to un flood the engine as well
No way to unflood a motor
Take the carb off and rebuild it, it's fairly easy

The gas may be bad but need to fix the flooding issue before anything else

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Get a factory shop manual
It’s a very simple set up
Auto shop 101 circa 1966.
Come on guys
We oldsters learned from a shop manual

Brandoninkc

Cadet
ok, but float level may not be adjusted right or was changed in shipping
Look for dripping when shut off
Ok I'll watch for dripping I honestly think I messed up I added fuel after the boat was sitting for 3 years and I think I ruined all my gas and I think it's flooding because it won't start but i haven't messed with a carb since I was a teenager

Brandoninkc

Cadet
ok, but float level may not be adjusted right or was changed in shipping
Look for dripping when shut off
Got it started on a separate fuel source it was definitely bad gas got a question thought someone rigged the throttle linkage with wire and I'm just wondering of there is anywhere on earth I can find that original throttle linkage

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know off hand but post a pic, we be able to find something that will work

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You can find NLA OMC parts on EBay & NLA Marine parts
Take a look at the OMC catalog on Crowley Marine or Marine Engine.com you’ll see the original parts & part numbers

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also you’ll need a good quality marine rebuild kit for the Rochester carb.
Might also need to replace that old mechanical fuel pump