1988 200HP Looper pee hole pressure

divebubbles

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
5
I have owned this motor for 5 years with very minor issues "Knock on wood". I have always noticed the water sort of dribbles out of the pee hole instead of the usual stream of water I have seem on other motors. The motor does not overheat. It runs fine. When connected with ear muffs it can take up to 10 minutes before I see the 1st signs of water exiting the block. What is the norm for this engine? TIA :confused:
 

NathanY

Commander
Joined
Mar 16, 2002
Messages
2,408
Re: 1988 200HP Looper pee hole pressure

Run a small piece of wire up the pee hole and see if something made a nest in there. That is usually what happens.
 

divebubbles

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
5
Re: 1988 200HP Looper pee hole pressure

I've removed all the hoses and T's and inspected them for blockage in the past. I will check things again. I was told by one mechanic that this is normal for this type of motor. I really do not trust him though.
 

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jan 23, 2002
Messages
11,195
Re: 1988 200HP Looper pee hole pressure

divebubbles <br /><br />You're right. It should not take that long for the motor to start peeing. When on the muffs, make sure you have plenty of water pressure..
 

divebubbles

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
5
Re: 1988 200HP Looper pee hole pressure

I was careful with the placement of the muffs and used a water outlet that has plently of pressure. Took about 2-3 minutes before dribbles of water started to appear. As I increase the trottle, the dribble increases, but not a constant stream.<br /><br />Remember this has been the way of things since I purchased this motor. It does not over heat and runs perfect.
 

DHPMARINE

Captain
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,688
Re: 1988 200HP Looper pee hole pressure

divebubbles How does the motor behave in the water where it is meant to run.<br /><br />I've had Mercury V6's (on a hose)that take so long to show a telltail,even I get nervous.That's one reason we use temp sticks.<br />DHP
 

ob

Admiral
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
6,992
Re: 1988 200HP Looper pee hole pressure

Have you replaced the waterpump since you've had the engine?If it hasn't been replaced in a few years ,my recommendation is that you replace with new and install new T/stats.A worn impeller or one that has taken a set will not produce good pressure or volume at lower speeds.
 

divebubbles

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
5
Re: 1988 200HP Looper pee hole pressure

I make it a point to change the impeller every year. I changed the entire assembly last year. In the water the results are the same. The TStats where changed 3 to 4 years ago, thinking that this might increase water pressure. No change. From all your responses I am assuming that I should be getting MORE than just dribbling water? Should I be seeing a constant stream? The water pressure gauge is tapped at the lower part of the block. The gauge reads abour 20 PSI at normal operation WOT 25-30PSI.
 
Top