1988 20' playcraft Deckboat

I don't know if this is the right place to post a question about a deck boat, but it looks like a pontoon from the deck up.

I am looking at a 1988 Playcraft 20' with a 150 horse evinrude. Power trim etc, etc. Boat appears to be in good shape- except the carpet is rough and seats are weathered.

Are these good boats? I have a good sized family, and want to be able to carry 6-7 people. I have had a few different boats from daycruisers to open bow boats. I thought the boat type lower hull would be good for watersports, speed, and fuel economy.

I just don't know if this is a well built boat (Playcraft) and need to know what to look for.

Seller is asking $3500.00

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

JWRoberts

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1988 20' playcraft Deckboat

I have no personnal experience with the Playcraft but I have heard that they are pretty good boats.

The price seems reasonable, but in today's economy, I would offer $2500.

Prior to purchase, I would get the 21 year-old motor checked by a marine mechanic because most any repair on that engine will quickly add greatly to the operational costs.

I would not address the carpet or seat issues until you put 50 or so hours on the boat to make sure other maintenance items don't surface. Once you have confidence in the boat and motor, then you may decide to invest in refurbishing her.

Thanks for the feedback JW--

I went to see the boat today.

Here is what I found. Hull is in great shape, although it is weathered. Upholstry is toast-- like sitting in the desert dry and cracked toast. The carpet is shot, and the floor has a soft spot up towards the front. It feels fairly major. It needs a complete resto on the topside as far as I can see-- even the cupholders are faded, cracked and dry.
Compression seems reasonable, water pump is working, fires up and runs well-- I'd say it appears to be in decent mechanical shape.

I just put a new floor and upholstry in our Bayliner, and I would have to say its alot of work. What I don't know is how this boat is tied together-- I had heard that older pontoon boats are easy to re-deck, but this is a deckboat with a fiberglass bottom-- it looks like work! Anyone have any experience with this type of rig?

Second-- If im crazy enough to tackle this-- whats it worth?

Am I better off to pass?

My problem is I want a pontoon, but I want to hit at least 35 mph-- and I don't want to spend a ton.

Thanks guys

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It is the same hullwise as your Bayliner, top and bottom bonded together the only pontoon feature is the flat top, so you would have to split the hull just the same.

Unless you are up for another rebuild I would walk, sounds like a money pit.

JWRoberts

Seaman Apprentice

I would pass. Lots of work and money, and when done, you still have a 21-year old boat

Thanks for the advice guys---- I think i'll take it (the advice, not the boat, LOL)

Have a great day