1988 20 hp Mariner (NO Spark)

skip44820

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure that may affect things in the way you are having. At least not perhaps on that system.
But almost certainly, the lanyard kill switch will stop any ignition (spark) if it’s intervening.
Depending on what type of harness and or remote throttle box you have. If it’s active, this can result in the engine cranking over on the key…but despite that, there will be no ignition allowed at all.
Send a picture of your remote control throttle box up at the helm. From the side and looking towards the ignition key barrel too. We might be onto something here.
Or at least we can go from there. Yes you can test the stop/kill circuit and you can by pass it too.
The in gear interlock most likely (if you have it) or most usually, doesn’t allow you to crank her over in the first place. Not exclusively, but usually.
I brought the
Control box back by motor and checked continuity in 6 wires.

skip44820

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’d make sure the toggle (kill switch) under the ignition barrel, is all the way up and not activating. Test the wiring there.
Some of it looks a bit corroded or dry/brittle in places perhaps.
Listen. It could be at the engine…but for sure, issues in that box will cause no ignition. The ignition wire itself too. The yellow and red wire…and its circuit..check all that out for health. Both ends.
The toggle switch under the hood by the key, with battery hooked up. Key turned on, toggle in up position. No continuity. BINGO

skip44820

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I unplugged 1 end of switch of the switch other end is ground. Still no spark Damm

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The toggle switch under the hood by the key, with battery hooked up. Key turned on, toggle in up position. No continuity. BINGO
Yeah…when it’s up…it’s in the normal position to run. It’s only when it’s activated or pulled down, it creates a circuit to earth, then killing ignition. Worth checking it at the other end too though.

skip44820

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah…when it’s up…it’s in the normal position to run. It’s only when it’s activated or pulled down, it creates a circuit to earth, then killing ignition. Worth checking it at the other end too though.
Had to step away a couple of days, was really getting me down, don't seem like I was going no where. I'll disconnect blk wire today, let u no

skip44820

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had to step away a couple of days, was really getting me down, don't seem like I was going no where. I'll disconnect blk wire today, let u no
Could not find a blk wire except ground wires. Turned key maybe 15 times,just for he'll of it, has light on plug wire to look for spark. Once I had spark then no more. Some one has changed color wires on motor. I ordered new switch box. Came in with 2 green wires. I don't have any green wires. Sent it back. Don't know what 2 do now. Might order another switch box.

skip44820

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Could not find a blk wire except ground wires. Turned key maybe 15 times,just for he'll of it, has light on plug wire to look for spark. Once I had spark then no more. Some one has changed color wires on motor. I ordered new switch box. Came in with 2 green wires. I don't have any green wires. Sent it back. Don't know what 2 do now. Might order another switch box.
We come down to the control box. The key switch what wires coming out of the key switshould be hot going back to the motor.
I'm not sure if I have a bad key switch. Or the neutral safety switch or the toggle switch.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe 12 volts from the battery is needed to generate spark from the coils.

skip44820

Petty Officer 2nd Class